Macbook (Early 2008) power button not working

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by saisworld, Dec 31, 2011.

1. saisworld macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I got a macbook (Early 2008).Its power button is stopped working. I used it previous night and I think I shut it down. Next day morning when I click on power button its not powering. Not sure where prob is . definitely there is no liquid spill. So I took macbook to genius bar and they reviewed and asked me to replace logic board which is costing around £300. Way too expensive for me currently.

Need your help in trying to find the problem and fix it instead of replacing logic board.

I recently upgraded OS from Tiger to Snow Leopard. not sure if this might have caused any problems though.

I tried SMU reset as well but no luck.

Maybe if someone could suggest some other ways to power it other than power button it would be of great help.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance
    Xai

2. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Exactly how do you propose doing that if the power button doesn't work?

4. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

well if it is the power button this would be a problem, however given the fact that apple tells him its the logic board then it's probably not the power button, and even broken logic boards will work periodically.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The point is, if you can't turn it on (which they can't), then obviously you can't boot from the startup disks. :rolleyes: