MacBook Early 2015 Hardware Issue

tbloomq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
I have a MacBook 12" Early 2015 that has a hardware issue. Could be the logic board... See the attached jpg. Is it worth fixing? Any clue as to the cost? Is this something I can fix? I do have a soldering iron...

Thanks!

Attachments

Neodym

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2002
You probably can’t fix anything on modern logic boards like the one in the MacBook - the structures are simply too small to solder with a standard iron. Look it up on the teardown by iFixit.

To me that looks like a problem with either the integrated GPU and/or Ram. Out of warranty, your best bet probably is to find a rMB with defective battery or keyboard and transplant the little logic board (not sure if it really is a simple transplant or whether you might need special tools to “authorize” the new part in some way).

If you intend to rather throw it away and get a new device, you could make a last attempt by “baking” the PCB, i.e. putting in in an oven for a defined time at a defined temperature, hoping that potential hair cracks in the solder may be closed again. Look it up on Google, it has been done in the past for problems with dGPU’s and other PCB’s, however there is NO success guaranteed! Consider it a last attempt after everything else failed, before putting it to garbage.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68020
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Have you tried an external monitor? See what the video looks like there. If it’s fine, you’re likely just looking at an issue with your screen or the cabling. Check it out and let us know!

jabintendo

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2018
London
I had the same issue with my MacBook. Apple told me the logic board was broken and would charge £550 to replace it. Luckily, i managed to get apple to fix it for free.

tbloomq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
Have you tried an external monitor? See what the video looks like there. If it’s fine, you’re likely just looking at an issue with your screen or the cabling. Check it out and let us know!
I have tried to connect via Finder's View option. The MB seems to be dead when in this state as it never responds to any incoming connection requests. It did before so it's not a firewall issue.
[doublepost=1546555950][/doublepost]
I had the same issue with my MacBook. Apple told me the logic board was broken and would charge £550 to replace it. Luckily, i managed to get apple to fix it for free.
How did you manage to convince them?

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68020
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I have tried to connect via Finder's View option. The MB seems to be dead when in this state as it never responds to any incoming connection requests. It did before so it's not a firewall issue.
What I meant was have you tried hooking an external monitor up to the MacBook?

jabintendo

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2018
London
How did you manage to convince them?
They initially took it in to try and re-install the OS. They then replaced the logic board of their own accord when they were looking at it. I was only told they replaced the logic board when i collected it. They did try to charge me when i collected my laptop, but i said i never agreed to pay for it. The genius guy spoke to his manager and then agreed i didn't have to pay. I did have tell them they could keep the laptop because i would not pay for the repair. (it would make more sense to just buy a new laptop than pay the repair fee)

I have read other people having the same problem, so it leads me think this is an unofficial problem. Just try and get them to take it in without paying for the charge. this would be my advice.

tbloomq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
What I meant was have you tried hooking an external monitor up to the MacBook?
I dont have the hardware to connect a monitor. Best I can do is try to reach it via the network.
[doublepost=1546915614][/doublepost]
They initially took it in to try and re-install the OS. They then replaced the logic board of their own accord when they were looking at it. I was only told they replaced the logic board when i collected it. They did try to charge me when i collected my laptop, but i said i never agreed to pay for it. The genius guy spoke to his manager and then agreed i didn't have to pay. I did have tell them they could keep the laptop because i would not pay for the repair. (it would make more sense to just buy a new laptop than pay the repair fee)

I have read other people having the same problem, so it leads me think this is an unofficial problem. Just try and get them to take it in without paying for the charge. this would be my advice.
Thanks. I will give it a try!

tbloomq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
I finally got to the Apple Store in nearby Corte Madera, CA. They suggested I send it in for repairs. However, I have a lot of personal data stored on the ssd. Given the very short time of operation (2 - 3 minutes), is there a Terminal Command to erase/format the SSD?

tbloomq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
Thanks for your comment. Is that something that only Apple can fix or can a good local shop fix it?

Jamers99

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
Lutz, FL
I was kind of making a joke. Your screen looks very similar to LCD TV's when the T-Con board goes bad. I wouldn't advise you tackle this yourself with regard to soldering. It requires a scope for magnification and micro-soldering tools. Apple will likely tell you it's $800 to fix and try to convince you to get a new one instead. If you really want to get it fixed then search on YouTube for Louis Rossmann (The Rossmann Group) and/or Jessa Jones (iPad Rehab). They both have very skilled technicians who can literally fix just about anything Apple makes. I think the cost is ~$300 and I believe they don't charge you if they can't repair it.

How your reflective coating on your iMac Pro looking anyway? Apple did extends the warranty to 4 years on the displays for replacement. See this https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/17/apple-extends-free-staingate-repairs/

Not sure your issue is in the display screen itself or on the logic board but it wouldn't hurt to check with Apple if your coating is delaminating.