Macbook/Eee Pc 1000h and external HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iag48, Sep 9, 2008.

1. iag48 macrumors regular

If I back up all my media from my macbook to an external HDD, can I hook up my Eee pc to the external HDD and copy all the movies, pics and music? If I can, which would you recommend?

2. island macrumors 6502

island

Make sure you format your external to FAT32 to make sure you can access the files on your Asus.

3. macgirl82mjn macrumors member

macgirl82mjn

Format your harddrive into something that both the mac and Eee pc can read, like FAT32. Copy the files over and you should be fine. HFS+ is a little bit tricky for most linux distributions, so just open the disk utility and select DOS partition

MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP THE DATA ON THE HARD DRIVE BEFORE YOU FORMAT IT OR IT WILL ERASE YOUR FILES :)

if you have any other questions about the mac or Eee, ask away!

4. mistercoffee2 macrumors member

Don't you have a router / network? Copy them over.

5. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Definitely the way to go if you can. I prefer to have all my externals formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). For those times when I need to transfer files to the ailing PC in the corner, the network is the best option. Otherwise I also have an 8 gig flash drive for transfers. Flash drives are CHEAP these days.

6. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I do have a home network however I was unaware that I could transfer files between mac and windows. :confused: How do I set up my network for that? Do I need to do anything special on the Eee or mac? (I feel soooo dumb lol)

I mainly want to transfer some movies and all my music.

thanks for the help.

Btw if anyone interested the 1000h eee pc is only 449.00. Now I can leave my macbook at home and let the asus take a beating at college.:apple: