Macbook Electricity usage on standby is high

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Marcus263, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Marcus263 macrumors regular

I bought one of these: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=223573 and decided to do an experiment, now on standby (Laptop cover closed) it consumes £1.432 per night (8 hours). Laptop on standy, Cover Open but Display in Sleep mode for 8 hours costs £4.731 per day.

So that means per month on standby at night, my Macbook costs £44.392 :confused:

This can't be right? Because if it is, I might have to turn it off at night from now on.

2. Sareth macrumors member

That doesn't sound right, did you note the KWh measurement over that period ?

3. Mark-Mac-Attack macrumors regular

4. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Have you set the correct tariff based on your electricity bill?

5. molala macrumors 6502a

That can't be right, my Macbook is always on standby/sleep and what you quoted is about my total electricity bill.

Btw, which model Macbook is it?

6. Marcus263 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm with Scottish Power, so looked the details up and followed the instructions on the plug. Is this not correct? What should the figure be on average? The Uni-body without the SD card thing, bought last November.

7. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Some of these monitors allow you to view usage by day, week, month and year. Perhaps you're viewing an estimate for the year :eek:

8. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

found this article i read when i was scared that my macbook was using to much power on sleep but even with the cpu at 200% it would still be using about 1/2 of the power that a normal light bulb uses :)

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

No way.

My whole apartments uses $20 of electricity per month for everything combined.

10. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

I'm wondering if the OP is running some kind of USB mini fusion reactor off his MacBook.