Macbook ethernet issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JohnnyRules, Feb 16, 2010.

1. JohnnyRules macrumors newbie

I have been having trouble with getting online lately with my macbook via ethernet. I am plugged straight into the wall at my apartment, so there are no router issues (that I know of). When I try to get online, my ip comes up as 196.168.... and I cannot connect to the internet. However, when I boot up into bootcamp (vista), I am able to immediately get online through the same connection, and my ip appears to be different (10.1...). Any suggestions? I plan on going home this weekend (dont have my osx disc at school) and trying to reinstall the os to see if that fixes it.

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

If you go to System Preferences > Network > AirPort, does it give you any more information? Are you using a router in between your computer and the modem? May need to give us a little more info to fix this one.

3. JohnnyRules thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it says I am connected to that ip (192.168...) and thats about it. I'm not connected through a router, I just plug my cable straight into the wall at my apartment. What I find weird is that I am still able to get online in windows, and not osx.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Sys Prefs->Network->Ethernet the Configure IPv4 selection should be Using DHCP correct?

5. JohnnyRules thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it's automatically set to find DCHP. As a side note, the clock in the upper hand corner is also wrong, don't know if that has anything to do with it, or if its just from switching back and forth into windows recently.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Clock is probably a bootcamp issue. Try manually setting the IP to the one Windows gets. Note also the DNS server IP.

7. JohnnyRules thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright I'll try that a little later on, thanks for your help.

8. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

Try this :

System Preferences > Network > Ethernet > Advanced > TCP/IP > Renew DHCP Lease

Maybe it's stuck and needs to release/renew.

The 10.1... on the Windows partition is from its association to the network of the Mac.