MacBook: Excessive Fan Use.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Slovig, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Slovig macrumors member

Hey. Lately I've noticed that my fan will be running at high RPM's for what seems like to much. I have my MacBook on my desk, and my room is generally 70 degrees. Often I'll just be searching the web, and the fan will be loud, and stay on for about 5 min. Or I'll be watching a short youtube clip, and the fan will max out RPM's according to SMCFanControl. I'm not sure if this is normal for the Early '08 BlackBooks, but I find it rather annoying, and sometimes the case will be very hot to the touch. I'm really starting to think I should switch to the new Alu, sooner than later, as it seems those have 0 issues what so ever.

Thanks for the input,

-Jesse.

P.S., does anyone know of possibly a more reliable fan monitor?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Before you decide to get rid of the computer due to fan speed issues, take a look at your Activity Monitor. A lot of times, your issue can be caused by a process that won't quit, that sucks up CPU resources.

Also, another program for checking out fan speeds, as well as CPU usage would be iStat Pro. Something else...seeing how you're still in warranty, if you have an Apple Store nearby, you should make a Genius appointment. It could be that your computer has a cruddy thermal paste application on the CPU<-->Heatsink interface, so it's not cooling as well as it should, causing the fans to kick up much more.

3. Heimlich macrumors member

4. Slovig thread starter macrumors member

I'll check those two out. And no, there's more to me wanting the aluminum one than just the fan speeds. I prefer better graphics, faster RAM, and an enclosed screen.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Unless you'll be pushing the computer, for day-to-day stuff like web browsing, internet video, and basic photo editing, neither the RAM nor the GPU will make much difference at all.

I don't know what you do with your laptop, so who am I to judge; I'm just cheap and run these things till they quit :eek:

6. Slovig thread starter macrumors member

Yea. I am planning on teaching myself a lot about rendering, video editing, and a lot more, so those extras will help. But my main hatred towards my current Blackbook, is that the right hand side of the screen, isn't fully connected to the frame. I'm taking it up to the Apple Store tomorrow, because as I go to college, I'll be taking it with me, and it will see more use than just sitting on my desk, with external mouse and keyboard hooked up to it, and I want to see if it's something they can fix, or if I could pay the difference for either a new or refurbished Alu. MacBook, of the same specs(2.4GHz):D. Hopefully they'll be able to do something about it.

7. aluminumapple macrumors regular

remember to always use your macbook on a hard surface.. my aluminum macbook and my white macbook gets overheated even if im doing nothing and im on my bed.. remember certain places generate more heat.. : P

8. Slovig thread starter macrumors member

I know, I expect it to heat up sitting on my lap, but when its sitting on a desk? It shouldn't have to run so hot.

9. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Install iStat Pro to keep track of your temp. Do you know what temperature is your CPU reaching? Also, take a picture of your activity monitor tasks and post it here.

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

11. piimaPAKK macrumors member

You should worry if it goes over 200F (and not just for a split second), 137F is very acceptable even for idle.
    My unibody hovers around 175F all the time when i play WoW for example, its little annoying cause the chassis and keyboard get quite hot around qwer keys.

12. aluminumapple macrumors regular

lol when im playing cod 4 and i put the rpm to about 5000? it still hovers around 60 C

13. acurafan macrumors 6502a

inlet air for white macbook

does the cool air get sucked in via the keypad to cool the insides on the white macbooks?? :confused:

b/c i don't see any other vents on the laptop - and running FanControl to monitor. it's pretty hot at the bottom, on my pillow.

14. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

The fan on the unibody Macbook basically stays quiet unless you watch HD videos or youtube. For normal use and web surfing this thing runs very cool and quiet. It's worth the upgrade if you want reduced heat and improved quietness.