Macbook excessive noise

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by caughtintheweb, Jun 9, 2011.

?

Does your macbook make excessive fan noise when you watch youtube ?

1. Yes. I feel like slapping my macbook.

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No. My macbook is like a good gf without any issues.

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Probably. I don't care much though.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Stop posting insane polls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. caughtintheweb macrumors regular

Hi All,

My 2008 macbook takes off like an airplane when I play a youtube video or do anything which is CPU intensive (like running VMware). The noise is terrible to bear. I took the macbook to apple genius bar and they told me that everything seems fine with the fan and hard drive. The noise is annoying me whenever I do any serious work on my macbook.

What can I do to resolve this problem ?

PS I am not a technical expert so I dont know much about adjusting fan settings.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

By the way, polls are unnecessary when trying to diagnose individual issues you may be having.

3. Laco macrumors 6502

I have a 4 year old Macbook that I use on average 12 hours a day, everyday. For the past 2 years the fans have been on 6200 rpm constantly. This makes a great deal of voice however I've grown to enjoy it.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If they're on even without a heavy workload, reset the SMC. That's not normal. They should be around 2000 rpm unless you're taxing your system to the point that temps are sustained at a high level.

5. Laco macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice :)

I think it has something to do with flash. I usually have at least half a dozen flash web pages open at the same time.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Need another poll option.
    5. I don't waste my time with YouTube.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That could do it!