Macbook Exhaust Fan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Argent1024, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Argent1024 macrumors newbie

This forum has helped me a bunch with problems i've had in the past, but now i could really use the consult. Theres a lot here but i'd really appreciate the help. Thank You!

i had a bit of an accident with my macbook where something fell on my keyboard, and now i'm getting a wierd sound that i've determined is coming from my fan. sometimes it will whine really loud and go to around 5000 rpm. and other times it will just squeak in spurts. its annoying but more importantly it scares me that something could be broken.

I want to take it to somebody to get it fixed, but i'm afraid that its not under warranty, and i have not a lot of money to pay to get it fixed.

Everything else works like it should.

its running steady around 140 degrees Fahrenheit, which i've heard is alright.

but i'm worried that i could be hurting my computer by using it too long. Should i try to open it up myself, i know how to do it safely, just to check to see if theres something stopping the fan? Or should i just send it to somebody for them to take a look? I don't want to find out that some tiny piece of something is stopping it and have to spend a bunch of money for somebody to do something i could do.

also where should i go if its not under warranty to get it fixed, and also how high can these repairs run. like i said i'm strapped for cash, but i need this computer for my job.

I know this is a lot of words, but i could really use the help, and you have no idea how thankful i'd be if you could help me out.

2. Argent1024 thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't mean to bug, but any advice would be really cool

thanks guys :)

3. uberjason macrumors member

uberjason

Just a thought, has the macbook ever been in a dusty environment? If so maybe the drop on the 'book moved some dust into the fan. try a can of compressed air into the rear vents, and it may dislodge the dust. Just a thought...

4. Argent1024 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks.

i blew air in there and it cleared up nicely. I feel like an idiot, such an easy fix on something i thought would end up breaking my computer. its just like how i fixed my genesis tapes in the olden days :)

thanks a ton.

5. eman macrumors 6502a

If you blow air into the rear vents you will blow the dust back into the inside of the laptop; where it will eventually enter the fan and lodge into the heat sink again.
    Next time you have this problem, take the key board off and blow compressed air into the fan and blow the dust bunnies out the vent hole in the rear. Also blow the inside of the macbook logic board ETC...

6. Argent1024 thread starter macrumors newbie

i wanted to open up the keyboard, but i'm hesitant because my friend told me to watch out for static charge and i don't feel comfortable frying my computer.

any suggestions to do that safely?

7. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Plug the laptop in but turn the socket off at the wall. That way the laptop is grounded but you won't get an electric shock.

8. eman macrumors 6502a

Static charge is a concern. When you start to work on your macbook, unplug the magsafe adapter and remove the battery. Set down at your workstation (desktop whatever) just grab anything metal and now you're pretty much good to go. Every time you leave and walk around, you must grab something metal to discharge any static electricity. Leather sole shoes and carpet are great for building a static charge and should be avoided. As long as you ground yourself each time before you start working on your laptop, you're good to go.
    Failure to ground yourself could (maybe) result in damage to your electrical components. This has never happened to me and I believe the possibility is actually low. It's still always good idea to follow safe procedures.

9. d-kopf macrumors newbie

The best way to do this though is by using an ESD wrist band and an ESD mat. Thus you and the computer are always discharged.

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Another suggestion is to increase the humidity in your environment (with a humidifier, a kettle boiling water, etc). Static is more prevalent in winter than in any other season due to the dry air, which aids in charge buildup. To counter that, make the air wetter around you.