Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ekim.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Hi All,

Long time lurker; first time poster. I'm planning on buying a MacBook in the near future and I was hoping to get some experiences and opinions on using a non-apple provided hard drive spinning at 7200 rpm.

I realize that in addition to performance gains, I should be expecting more heat to be generated (safe assumption?). Does anyone have any information regarding decrease in battery life, excessive heat, etc related to a faster HD in a MacBook?

Although I want a better performing machine, I don't want to sacrifice TOO much for it. ;)

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Earl

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
ekim. said:
Hi All,

Long time lurker; first time poster. I'm planning on buying a MacBook in the near future and I was hoping to get some experiences and opinions on using a non-apple provided hard drive spinning at 7200 rpm.

I realize that in addition to performance gains, I should be expecting more heat to be generated (safe assumption?). Does anyone have any information regarding decrease in battery life, excessive heat, etc related to a faster HD in a MacBook?

Although I want a better performing machine, I don't want to sacrifice TOO much for it. ;)

Earl

the 7200RPM drives are parallel in terms of what you get. In other words, its the same heat, power consumption and battery life. The differenc is VERY minimal and un-observable in most cases

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Well you can start by buying a macbook with the Apple-provided HD and see if you like the speed. Due to the embarrasingly easy accessible HD, you can always buy a 7200rpm for it later on. I doubt you will even notice it though.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
ekim. said:
Hi All,

Earl

For a start, battery life will be impaired a little by using a 7200 RPM drive - but again, it won't be drastic, and should be worth the performance gains.

The difference between the shipping drive and a 7200RPM is quite a lot - not "minimal" as somebody here suggested. I use mine for audio and it struggles with the stock drive, but for me it's no problem as I have a powermac as my main unit.

What are you planning on using the Macbook for? If it's video editing, Audio processing etc you'll be needing that faster drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.