Macbook & External Display at a high resolution.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mrmaroon, Sep 17, 2008.

1. mrmaroon macrumors member

So, my(first) question is:

Is my darling macbook going to be able to cope with pushing pixels around at 1680 x 1050?

Bear in mind I'll be browsing, listening, chatting, watching and working, with the odd bit of shopping.

Secondly: Can I run the external display at its highest resolution in open - lid mode?

Thirdly: In clamshell mode, is it safe to be doing anything that might generate any considerable heat?

Fourthly: Can I position my Macbook to the left of the monitor (obviously in open lid mode), and have the dock on the external display? or does it have to be 'on top'?

Sorry to ask such nubbish questions, but y'know, I wouldn't want to damage it or anything.

Many regards.

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

The Macbook can output 1920x1200 high definition so your external monitor won't be a problem. You can go into preferences and set your external as your primary monitor so you can have the dock and menus on the external. This is done in the display in system preferences. You can also run your MB closed while displaying your desktop on your external monitor and that'll be fine.

If you plan on doing all that at once, I'd suggest upgrading your RAM and/or max it out.

3. mrmaroon thread starter macrumors member

I'm running 2 GB atm.

Not too sure about upping to 4. We'll see. 2 seems fine for now!

4. Samwise592 macrumors regular

I've got a year-and-a-half old macbook with 2gbs of ram (specs in sig). I run my 1680x1050 monitor in lid-open and closed mode with no real problems. Sometimes a heavy animation will shudder a bit or drop a frame or two, but nothing bad. I can even plan Hi-def videos with no chopping.