MacBook external display frame rate?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NOIRtist, Sep 9, 2007.

1. NOIRtist macrumors newbie

Hi, just bought my new macbook a couple weeks back. I recently hooked it up to my Vizio 42" Plasma through a Mini-DV to VGA converter. I'm running the macbook in clamshell mode, and the display is set to 1280x768 75hz. For typical use, things look fine. But quick movements, scrolling, and especially videos seem to have a slight delay to them. As if the refresh rate or frame rate cant keep up. Truthfully, lol its sometimes giving me a little headache.

Anyone know how to fix this?

2. NOIRtist thread starter macrumors newbie

3. jtown macrumors 6502

Set your refresh rate for 60hz. That's the refresh rate these panels use. Using a refresh rate of 75hz won't help and could be responsible for your problems if the panel isn't able to handle the "conversion" well. Also, what is the native resolution of your display? The 42" Vizios that I know of run at either 1366x768 or 1920x1080. 1280x768 is either going to end up being stretched or displayed with pilars. Also, make sure your display is not set to stretch/fill/overscan/zoom mode. If it's not doing a straight 1:1 display of the image, the image will look like crap.

Get your settings straightened out and see if it makes any difference.

60hz
    1366x768 or 1920x1080
    1:1 pixel mapping

Edit:

Oh. I see you said plasma. I assumed LCD. That narrows down the possibilities. The single 42" plasma listed on vizio's site has a native resolution of 1024x768 which means the image is going to look squished if you use a 1:1 pixel mapping. What a weird choice on their part. Well, it is what it is. I have no idea what the native refresh rate is on this display, tho I suspect it's the same 60hz as LCDs since they're based around the 60hz 720p HDTV spec.

4. NOIRtist thread starter macrumors newbie

Switching to 60hz seems to have helped a bit. Still not as good as it was on my old PC. But better. Could be my imagination lol. Thanks for the help.