macbook external display issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacHappytjg, Oct 25, 2008.

1. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

since my desk is messey i was cleaning it off and dis connected everything and did some cable management now that i plugged it back in it wont go to its highest resolution, like whats screwing up here and how do i get my resolution, im using a 20.1" lg monitor

2. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Long shot here...

Unplug it and then plug it back in.

Go to system preferences or to the display tab if you have it enabled in the menu bar, and make sure that mirroring is off. With that done, press Detect Displays and wait for each to show up. You should then be able to select the native resolution of the monitor from the list that pops up on the monitor itself.

3. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

i did that and still doesnt show up as the model it just says display and i cant get the best resolution and also tried restarting and nothing its really starting to annoy me erg

4. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Its not showing the model at all? Hmm. Did you try checking the monitor end of the cable was completely inserted? (seems daft but believe me I do it a lot too and wonder why my image is entirely green when the cable is firm in my MacBook)

5. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

yep and when i do it at the highest which isnt the actual full res of the monitor and yea, its starting to annoy me alot........ im thinking it could be the mini dvi

6. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

Well i just unplugged the vga that was in the mini dvi and re put it in and then the correct res started working again inthe correct res and yea hurray

7. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Just a quick question... what is the maximum resolution of the monitor? The Mini-DVI is only capable of 1920x1200 on Intel GMA 950 MacBooks (the resolution of the old 23" cinema display) and slightly higher for the X3100 (although I haven't tested the highest resolution for my MacBook yet).

Other than you running a monitor with too high a resolution, I have come to the same conclusion that there may be something iffy with the miniDVI port.

EDIT: Glad to hear you got it sorted mate!