Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stark2051

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
I am probably going to be buying a Macbook in a couple weeks. I want to get an external display, I was going to go with the Apple 23" display, but for less money I can get a Samsung that supports the same resolution with higher contrast ratios and shorter refresh times. My question is--will I have any compatibility issues with the Samsung? Here is a link for reference: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001222 thanks for reading

Later

redmeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
i dont know if you have looked at dell monitors yet, but they are a popular choice here on the forums and i believe the parts in the monitor are from samsung as well. so technically you can get a samsung monitor (dell branded) for even cheaper and great quality... check them out if you like

and word to the other posts, vga or dvi work

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The Samsung and the Apple cannot even be compared. Whether you understand it or not, they exist for different users in mind. It's the technology behind them that's different.

Higher contrast and shorter response times may be great, but it really depends on what you do. If you want to write documents, surf the web, play video games, watch movies, look at (and do some slight editing to) your photos, go ahead and get the Samsung. If you're using this monitor for professional purposes where you'll need to get things printed, or you do photography as an advanced hobbyist and are picky about colour, then buy the Apple.

marvinsum

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2007
Yep, 23" is the absolute biggest the MacBook can handle. If you want a 30" display, only the MacBook Pro is capable of driving that.

I would actually recommend buying the Dell instead of the Acer if you're just doing normal stuff (surfing the web, playing games). If you want the most accurate image rendition for professional work, then you should buy Apple's display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.