Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2000ContourSVT

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
I would like to run dual monitors with my Macbook. I know that I have to get the mini DVI to VGA/DVI/Video adapter but I was wondering if going out S Video from the mini DVI to Video adapter will allow me to be able to drag a window from my laptop screen to my external display. Im looking for this capability because Im currently already using the VGA port on my monitor and it has an S Video port so it would be more convenient to use the S Video port. I need the second screen though because I run Logic for my audio mixing and the 13" screen is a little cramped for everything. So I would like to put some things on one screen and the others on the other. So my question is if the S Video adapter will allow me to have the same capabilities as the VGA/DVI adapter. Thanks.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
EDIT: sorry i missed the main part of the question. im not sure if s-video allows extended desktop mode but VGA does. you can try the s-video adapter but the VGA adapter would be your best bet. unfortunately the MacBook doesnt come with a VGA adapter like the Macbook Pro does.

dont worry about s-video just use a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter plugged into the VGA cable from your external monitor. using s-video requires the Mini-DVI to Video adapter if you want to buy both.

this will allow you to use extended desktop mode (i.e. allow you to drag windows to the other screen).

also if you like you can make the external display the primary desktop with the dock and menu bar by dragging the menu bar (white bar) to the bigger display under the Arrangement tab in display preferences.

2000ContourSVT

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Yeah I would prefer to use the VGA port on my monitor but unfortunately I'm already using it with another desktop computer. The only port I have open on it is a S Video port and I didnt really want to buy a box to use 2 VGA ports on a monitor with 1 VGA port.

However if I'm understanding you correctly I can use the mini DVI to Video adapter as well with the Extended Desktop mode.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Yeah I would prefer to use the VGA port on my monitor but unfortunately I'm already using it with another desktop computer. The only port I have open on it is a S Video port and I didnt really want to buy a box to use 2 VGA ports on a monitor with 1 VGA port.

However if I'm understanding you correctly I can use the mini DVI to Video adapter as well with the Extended Desktop mode.

^^ i edited my post after you had replied.

no im not sure if you can use extended desktop mode with s-video it might only support mirrored mode. you can definately use extended mode with VGA. hopefully another member who knows will reply.

so you can buy the Mini-DVI to Video adapter and try it out but it might not work so youd be safer with the VGA adapter but then youd have to buy a switch box. i may be wrong though.

2000ContourSVT

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Yeah hopefully someone knows for sure if S Video supports Extended Desktop. Otherwise I guess I'll have to try to find me a cheap switch box somewhere and they aren't normally too cheap. Thanks for the help though.

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I strongly advise you against doing this. The support for extended desktop is there for sure, the problem is S-VIDEO isn't meant for such use. It only supports NTSC/PAL resolutions (really low!), it's built for connecting your computer to televisions and similar devices. The picture on the monitor will be terrible.

You should get a VGA switcher if you ask me, i think it's your only solution here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.