Macbook + External display with lid closed???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mojopixel, Feb 19, 2008.

1. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Hello,

I'm trying to connect my MacBook to my external display and wanted to know whether it is possible to have the lid closed on my MacBook and still use the external display? If I can do this, how do I go about setting this up?

cheers

mp :confused:

2. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Plug in a keyboard, mouse, and the display, and the computer will stay awake when closed, or it can b awaken by pressing a key.

3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

After you hook everything up and close it up, it will go to sleep. Move the mouse or hit a button on the keyboard and it will reawaken and stay awake.

4. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

I tried this but nothing happened. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse, do I need to have a keyboard and mouse connected separately to my USB hub?

5. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

cool. are you able to have the option of putting your MacBook to sleep once you have installed insomniaX?

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Are they Bluetooth? If so, you need to make sure you have the option selected to "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" in the Bluetooth settings.

7. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

No, they're not bluetooth, I have a logitech keyboard and mouse that connects via infrared to a hub which then connects to a USB port

8. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

Yes. You can easily disable / enable the program with one click in the menu it puts along the top bar for you.

9. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

I was going to ask a sort - of similar question, but didn't want to start a new topic.

Is there any other way to select which displays you want to use other than closing / opening the MacBook lids?

On most (OMG!) Windows laptops there's a button (usually a function one) that you can press to toggle between
    laptop screen - > both external & laptop - > Just external

Anything similar for the Mac, or is closing the lid the only option?

10. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

This is the only option. You will notice that the mac way is much more functional for cloning / dual screening between the laptop and an external than it is on a Windows machine.

11. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I never had success plugging in a keyboard/mouse/display and then closing the lid.

Closing the lid first then plugging everything in after is what works for me. Try that and get back to us.

12. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

problem solved

Hello,

Thanks for all of your responses. I think Apple must be reading my mind or something because I was contemplating swapping my MacBook for an iMac when the little blue software update appeared on my dock. I downloaded the update, which apparently fixes a bug for using an external display with the lid closed and, Hey Presto!, I can now use my external display with the lid down and use my monitors native resolution of 1920x1200. So I'm happy! :) :apple:

cheers,

mp :)

13. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

I'll have to disagree with you there. I'd say the Mac way is worse :(

I was converting and burning a .avi file to DVD use just my external monitor (and Mac in clamshell mode) and my MB nearly got to 100ºC!
    Now if I'd known I'd have opened it, or if it had an option like windows, I would never have had the problem in the first place :D

btw - Macs are still better than PCs :p

14. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Once you have your laptop in clamshell mode, you can open it up to give it more ventilation.

15. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Yeah - my point precisely. It's a pain in the ass :rolleyes: