MacBook + External Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Andy348, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Andy348 macrumors 6502

I'm trying to set up my MacBook with a 21" ASUS widescreen monitor. I've got the mini-dvi to dvi connector, but theres some problems. When I finally get the right resolution set and it looks pretty good, I can't close the lid or else everything will go to sleep. It also doesn't recognize my USB keyboard, and I need to use the normal keyboard.

HAALP. I read somewhere that I'd need to plug in some random USB when I close the lid for it to work. Is this true?

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I use insomniaX to prevent mine going to sleep when I close the lid, which tends to work great. Everything still runs, it just doesn't sleep when you close the lid :)

3. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

From http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131?viewlocale=en_US

I would see if the USB keyboard works with your notebook without it being plugged into the display. If it does, you should be able to wake the computer by hitting a key once you put the notebook into clamshell mode.

It seems as though the keyboard you have is not working with your macbook.

This should have nothing to do with the program called insomniaX.

4. Andy348 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys! I'll try the above.

Before I go out and buy a monitor, is there a resolution limit on my MacBook? If I'm buying a 21" that can go 1920x1280 or something (from the Dell website), will my MacBook be able to fill this screen completely? Is there a performance loss from the bigger screens?