macbook external monitor data retrieval - any chance?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by peterwalsh, Oct 3, 2011.

1. peterwalsh macrumors newbie

Hi, I've searched for this but my query covers a few themes and I can't find anything that covers them all... apologies if it's come up before. Need some help.

My Macbook 2007, Core 2 Duo, A118 took a catastrophic tumble. There's a breathtaking gash on the top, middle of the plastic lid and the screen looks as though it's gunshot. Machine was on and asleep at time of accident. I can see a corner of the blue, wake-from-sleep-enter-password screen but I can't enter name or password, the text boxes are obscured/mouse vanishes as it enters the ravaged section of screen wilderness.

Obviously, I'd like to get my data off the macbook and know that I should be able to migrate it off the hard drive if I dismantle the machine but is there an easier/cheaper option to achieve this? Could I hook the macbook to an external monitor/computer/network and then use an external keyboard and mouse to wake it up, enter my name/password, extract my files and send/email/burn them to a new mac? Is there any other way I can access the macbook by linking it to a macbook pro somehow?

I imagine that I might be sunk given I can't get to the system prefs but would be grateful for any thoughts.

And p.s. if anyone in the UK has sourced and replaced a screen, what do you think the cash difference would be between that and the migration cost. Local shop is quoting sixty smackers an hour for opening it up. Cheers.

2. simsaladimbamba

What about Target Disk Mode? It even works with Windows + the trial of MacDrive.

3. peterwalsh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip, but how do I access the macbook to send files across to the target computer? I can't enter name/password or click icons, the screen is splintered and unusable.

4. simsaladimbamba

Target Disk Mode lets the MB (or any other Mac with Firewire) be accessed as external HDD, thus no need for icons and such.
    But you need another Mac or Windows/Linux computer with Firewire to even use TDM.
    My first post also contains three links to sites explaining what TDM is, maybe they re worth a read.

5. kaydot macrumors regular

I mentioned in another thread that I use my 2007 MacBook exclusively with an external monitor because my screen is dead. So I have somewhat useful insight here if I understand correctly.

Hooking up to an external monitor is doable assuming that the internals of your mac aren't too fubar. The mini-dvi port needs to function as does your "F7" key which, when pressed, should cycle through the various display modes. One of the display modes will "Mirror" your desktop display on your external display and, if it's working, you'll know right away. You can do this with the lid open, so, again, if it's just your screen that's dead, you can use the MacBook keyboard and touchpad without the need for an external. Otherwise, you'll need to track down a USB keyboard/mouse combo.
    Steps for this method:
    1. Hook up external monitor
    2. Open macbook lid
    3. Press "F7" (or whichever key has the overlapping squares on it) until external screen comes on.

The alternate option is just as easy. Just open up your macbook and put the drive into an USB external HD chassis (like $15 off of newegg). Taking the drive out of the Mac is _very_ easy as is setting up the external HD chassis. You just need a screwdriver and there are multiple tutorials on the Web on how to do this. (Google "Upgrade MacBook Hard Drive")
    Steps for this method:
    1. Order chassis off newegg
    2. Get HD out of MacBook
    3. Install HD into external chassis
    4. Hookup external chassis to another Mac and extract data

Both options are pretty straight forward.

6. peterwalsh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sorry if I appeared crass, simsaladimbamba, but I can't turn the macbook off from the name/password screen so wasn't sure if I'd be able to start it up as the target disc - will test.

Similarly will test the F7 key press to see if I can mirror the desktop to external monitor even from name/password screen.

And if that fails I'll out with the screwdrivers.

7. simsaladimbamba

To power off the MacBook just press and hold down the power button for five seconds. No need to use the GUI to turn off the MB. But if the F7 key works, the better, as Firewire might not be an option sometimes, due to many people not even having it.