MacBook + External Monitor + Plugged In

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jony Mac, Jan 9, 2012.

?

Should I run in clamshell mode with power plugged in all the time.

Poll closed Feb 8, 2012.
  1. Yes, This will be fine to leave plugged in all the time in clamshell

100.0%
  2. No, this will not be fine to run in clamshell plugged in all the time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other: Posted Comments Below

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I tried doing some searching for this and wanted to get some other thoughts. Currently I have my MacBook extend its desktop to another monitor. I'm thinking of purchasing a larger monitor and just using it as a single display.

My question is, if I run in clamshell should I be worried about leaving the MacBook plugged in and running all the time. If its in clamshell mode and I turn it off the only way to power it on is lifting the lid and pressing the power button correct?

Is anyone else out there running with a laptop all the time in clamshell mode and leaving power plugged in?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct. An alternative is to let it sleep, then wake it with the keyboard or mouse.
    It's not good for a battery to run on AC power all the time. Unplug and run on battery for a while a few times a week to keep your battery healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Okay, that sounds good. I have an iCurve stand I'd probably leave it on. Is that a good solution for clamshell mode to assist with cooling. Will clamshell mode cause any over heating

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, Mac portables are designed to operate safely in clamshell mode. All vents are located at the rear, near the hinge, so they are not blocked in clamshell mode. There is no venting anywhere else on Mac notebooks.

5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I do this when I am at home, but I also take my laptop out for mobile work about five times a week. This helps ensure the battery gets a cycle here and there.