Macbook External Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greenday123, Nov 18, 2007.

1. greenday123 macrumors 6502

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

unless your 22" runs at some superhuman resolution for its size, there should be no issue.

3. linshiwen macrumors member

My 1st gen macbook is hooked up to a dell 2407 at 1920x1200 so I dont see why not, with the appropriate converter

4. DarkSupra macrumors newbie

You will need a converter to use it on your macbook, but yeah it will work for sure.
    I sometimes use my macbook (same model as yours) on a Dell 2407 (1920x1200) and it works perfect.

5. Z2112 macrumors newbie

External PC monitors on Macbook Pro - not so hot

I'm having problems getting a good display with an external PC monitor from my MacBook Pro and I'm looking for some suggestions on resolving the problem.

I bought a 22" Viewsonic (VX2235wm). The MacBook Pro specs indicate that there should be no problem with the native resolution (1680 x 1050) ... and, in fact, the image shows up "fine" (the display is detected and I am offered the 1680 x1050 resolution in the display settings), but the image is not crisp and clear like I'm used to on my laptop monitor. Everything is a just a little fuzzy at the edges and fonts can be difficult to see. I can get a "better" image if I drop the resolution to 1280 x 800, but that is hardly worth the 22" monitor.

I've presented plenty of times from my Mac with projectors and I have a DVI-VGA converter (came with the MacBook Pro) ... but that actually doesn't seem to be an issue as the Viewsonic has both VGA and DVI inputs (and both give me the same problem). I've since tried my MacBook Pro on a few other "PC monitors" and have given up trying to get an external. I looked at getting an Apple Cinema Display, but for basically the same price I can just buy an iMac and do my work at home on that.

Someone suggested I "turn off" the laptop monitor when connected to the external ... that's a feature I'm used to with PC laptops, but I can't figure out how to do it on the Mac.

So, has anyone else had the same experience (and solved it)?

- it looks like at least a couple of people on this thread have had more success than me.

6. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

7. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

It's a 6 month old thread.