MacBook & external screen as main screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by enneth, Nov 27, 2008.

1. enneth macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently bought a new 24" monitor for my pc, on which I already had two 19" monitors connected. The 24" replaced one of the 19" leaving me one unused monitor. I therefore bought a mini-DVI to DVI cable, and it works like a charm, though there is one thing that is bugging me.
    I simply cannot make the external screen act as the main screen. Fx if I want to play a movie in VLC media player and I drag VLC media player to the external screen and press "Full screen" it makes it full screen on my MacBook and not the external. I would much rather watch movies on the 19" instead of my 13.3" MacBook. By the way the monitor is in the kitchen, 'cause I like to watch movies while cooking and eating. :)

Is there a way to fix this problem so I can watch movies in full screen on the external monitor?

2. smokestack macrumors member

in the 'arrange screens' section of displays (in system prefs) drag the little white bar to the external monitor.

3. enneth thread starter macrumors newbie

You are a genius! I thought that the blue boxes were the only draggable things.

Thank you very much. Works perfectly now.

4. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Also in vlc under video/video device you can set it to play on the other screen.

This can also be made into VLC's default screen in the preferences menu.

This way you can still use the dock on the macbook while watching things full-screen.