Macbook extra USB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by john2006wright, Jul 11, 2007.

1. john2006wright macrumors regular

If I use both usb ports on a MB with a keyboard and mouse (I can't afford BT versions) then what is the best way of connecting other peripherals i.e. flash memory stick, camera, ipod without disconnecting keyboard. A usb hub?

I hope you can help (you guys normally can:D)

2. 2hondas macrumors regular

Yes. A USB hub. :)

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

If you're using the apple keyboard you could always plug your mouse into the keyboard and that way save one usb port on your macbook. :)

4. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I have found really cheap USB hubs, for around $5 for 4 usb ports, I'm not sure where I looked, I think frys.com

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I know you (OP) said money was an issue for you, but if at all possible, get a powered hub. You can leave it on your desk with the mouse/kb connected to it, and in case you end up getting bus-powered USB devices that do not comply with the specification for how much power they're allowed to draw (of which there are sadly many), that powered USB hub will really help you out. :)

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Unless you are going to be plugging more than four things in, just plug the mouse into the keyboard as someone above said.

7. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I found a powered Belkin 4 port hub at CompUSA for around $10. As said earlier, get a powered hub if you go that route. Also look for one that will allow ALL extra ports on the hub to be USB 2.0. Some 4 port hubs allow only 1 USB 2.0 plug while the rest revert to USB 1.1.

8. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

Thanks for the advice! Unfortuantley, the keboard is not apple and does not have a USB port for the mouse. Can somebody explain what they mean by a "powered" USB hub??

Thanks a lot

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

A powered hub would be one that plugs into an outlet. USB carries power, so devices like external harddrives run off bus power, or the power coming from the USB port, when using an un-powered hub the power is split between all the ports on the hub. Your iPod needs to have it's own USB port to get the power it needs to change, some memory sticks even need bus power I believe. The powered hubs provides these devices with it's own power letting you get the full amount of power that would come through the USB port itself.

Hope that helps

10. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so something like this?

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=9460C690&nplm=T9073

I'll be conecting mouse, KB, ipod, memory stick, camera

11. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

12. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

Hi,
    I just reviewed a nice usb hub made by belkin. 4-ports, top loading, white and goes perfectly with the white Macbooks, mac minis and iMacs. If you're interested click here.

Hope it helps you choose a nice hub.

byakuya

13. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456