Macbook extremly slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spidermanisart, Jun 1, 2008.

1. spidermanisart macrumors newbie

so today i tried booting up my macbook (OSX tiger) and it stayed on the white screen longer than usual, then on the blue screen it loaded very fast and just stayed on the blue screen for around 5 minutes. i shut down, tried booting again-- same result. i tried over and over again, and finally held command v at startup. it said something about "couldnt set up diskarb". i then reset again and waited this time. it finally booted up my desktop (just the desktop) after about 5 minutes. 5 minutes later, my taskbar showed up without the time, bluetooth, sound, and battery life; and my dock showed up.

last night it acted fine, i didn't download any software updates or anything.

i thought the problem was this: http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-72125.html

so i opened font book, etc. it took more than 30 minutes to do so. i resolved duplicates and restarted the computer.

my wallpaper was up for about 10 minutes after i had restarted, so i did ctrl, ?, power button.

didn't work, it still booted slow. i tried to boot in safe mode but after the gray screen it just shuts off. i reset my PRAM and PMU-- to no avail.

help would be appreciated.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

It sounds like your hard drive is going bad.

Can you boot into Single User Mode? (cmd-s)

If so, at the command prompt type the following followed by a return key:

/sbin/fsck -fy

If it comes up clean, type:

reboot

If you see errors during the fsck, run it again (up to 6 times) until you get a clean pass with no errors.

Report back on this thread with the errors you are seeing during the fsck.

3. spidermanisart thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I ran it two times, every time after it said there is no such file or directory.

I got the same error both times:
    disk0s2:0xe0030005 (UNDEFINED)
    Invalid Node structure
    (4, 15301)
    **volume check failed

That doesn't sound too good.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Yup, not good. Your disk is fried.

If your MB is still under warranty (or if you have the extended AppleCare service), Apple will replace the drive free.

If not, just purchase a new 2.5" 9.5MM SATA Disk and install it yourself.

5. spidermanisart thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't recall how long the warranty was. Is the default warranty one year?

I'm assuming that I'll lose all of my files if the hard drive is replaced, right?

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Warranty is 12 months.

Yes you will lose all of your files unless you have a backup on an external disk. You should really consider an external disk for Time Machine backups.