Macbook Fails to install 10.5 properly

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by leggot, Sep 20, 2011.

1. leggot macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a Macbook, from around 2006-2007. It has a 2ghz processor, 1gb of ram and a 160gb hd. I have recently tried to reinstall mac os 10.5 in verbose mode and it gives me this error: "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"MacBook2, 1\".\n"@SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1220.0.2/iokit/Kernal/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1378"

This also happened with the previous installation of snow leopard.

I have reset the Pram, and reseated the ram.

1. What is the problem?

2. How do I fix it?

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab326/gotlego/IMG_5837.jpg

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When during the installation phase does this occur? Is the hard drive is proper working condition?

3. leggot thread starter macrumors newbie

This occurs right after the boot to the installation. When the apple logo first comes up, but before the little swirl thing at the bottom appears.

The hard drive works.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The reinstallation DVD maybe scratched. If two different DVD exhibit this problem, your optical drive may need cleaned or replaced.

5. leggot thread starter macrumors newbie

It was originally installed on the hard drive, and it exhibited the same problem. I have tried booting from a USB, and several levels of DVDs. Nothing seems to relieve the problem.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do you have another Mac you could use to install Mac OS X via Target Disk Mode with?

7. leggot thread starter macrumors newbie

The same image was used to update my quicksilver G4 via usb. No problems at all.

8. session101 macrumors regular

are you trying to install 10.5 on a freshly formatted drive?
    it is possible your DVD drive is dirty...but just like others have stated that you might have a bad CD, it has happened to me before, the CD works fine till about 8 mins left on installation then gives an error

9. leggot, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

leggot thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't happen to mention that I also tried booting off of a USB, and I have the same error.

Before the hard drive got reformatted, when I booted the Mac OS X, Snow leopard it also gave me the same error.