Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Storrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2006
I recently installed the newest firmware update. it makes my macbook run cooler but the fan is constantly on. its kind of loud but it doesnt bother me as long as i know its normal. so thats what im wondering. has this happened you all who have macbooks? i guess i could just tell people i took the Flowmaster mufflers off my car and put them in my computer for a nice custom sound. :)

EDIT: now that i think about it i installed 2 gigs of ram recently replacing the 512 stock ram (g.skill from newegg 667 5400 1 gig stick x 2) im not sure if that makes it run hot enough for the fan to be on like that?

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
You`re not alone. I too updated the firmware yesterday and the fan definitely seems to be running longer and more often than earlier. But it`s a good thing coz the MB seems a lot cooler than earlier. It`s been running for 8 hours straight and I can feel it`s considerably cooler on the top left side of the keyb(where it used to be hottest). HEAT and DUST are the only two real enemies of a PC. Oh I mean Macs. (For PCs there`s a third even more dangerous enemy and it`s almost inevitable. Guess what... ).

So I`d much better like my MB to run a little noisier(though I hardly notice it) than Hot.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Here also, before the firmware update i literally couldn't tell there were fans in my macbook, i'd never heard them once. now, sometimes, i know damn well they're there. mostly when i've been running windows strangely enough. The heat does seem a bit better, at least i can have it on my lap, and it isn't TOO bad. When i first updated, the fans were on for ages and really loud, and i started getting worried that my macbook would be that noisy forever, but after turning it off and leaving it overnight, it's basically back to how it was. rarely hear the fans. but the temperature is still good:)

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
just bought a notebook and downloaded the firmware update, but the update says my computer does not need it. is it because mine already has the update?

the top hot is really hot though, so I don't know if my macbook really has the update or not.

bigrell486

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Home
I decided not to install the firmware update simply because my Macbook doesn't overheat, whine, moo, complain, nag me to death, or any of the problems that are also commonly associated with having a girlfriend :)

Anyway, I heard that if your macbook is fine and then you install the firmware update you run could end up with problems.

r1ck

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2006
firmwire

The same thing happened to me. After I downloaded the new firmwire my fan is louder than it used to be and it bothers me. Is it supposed to be this loud? What's the point of the update anyway? What was wrong with the original fan rotation and how bad is it if you don't update the Firmwire to this new version?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.