macbook fan constantly on

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacHappytjg, May 19, 2008.

1. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

so im doing a project for school and i decided to use photoshop cs3 i reset up my macbook ie re installing osx / windows xp from a boot camp error so now its my first time using it since and the fans are constantly on and well its not hot or anything how can i stop this ?

2. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

My flatmate had exactly the same problem. I very much doubt that this is the problem you are having but its worth a stab in the dark!!

He reinstalled the printer drivers for his Canon MP450 and ever since he did that, fan has worked perfectly lol. No joking, I was there when he did it.

Sorry if thats not much help but thought it was interesting anyway, and maybe you have that printer?? :confused: :) :D

3. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

yea i dont think so but i might do a restart my problems go away when i do that but it happened to me before and then i just defaulted some settings but i forget but i dont think i have my cannon thing installed for my printer so i know its not that lol

4. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Have a look in Activity Monitor (located in Applications/Utilities) and sort the processes by CPU activity. If there's something with a high percentage, then it's likely the cause of the constant fans.

5. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

yea it wasnt on for like 10 mins but yea not usual ever since i stopped using firefox and was using safari? im using 1% - 3% and when i went into the monitor it stopped wtf always 90% idle

6. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

If you do have a cannon printer then I seriously recommend installing the drivers of the disk that came with it. My flatmates Macbook was doing exactly what you are describing with the restart thing.

Seriously I would try it. There is no point asking for advice if your not going to take it especially the fact that it seems like I may have nailed it. I know it sounds really bizarre. My flatmate didnt have his drivers installed either. Its worth a shot, you have nothing to lose with at least trying that.

7. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

no i dont have the printer drivers any of them installed nor languages i think its a waste of space but yes i do install from the disc anyway which im probably going to do since i have to print something but so anyway after i looked at the activity monitor it stopped i really dont know why apple makes me wonder :confused::eek::p:D

8. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Cool cool man. Good that its stopped doing that. But what I said is one to keep in mind. Its wacky but it worked!!! :D

9. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

but all i did was open the activity monitor weird