MacBook Fan doesn't stop!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by connorxxl, Aug 8, 2007.

1. connorxxl macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My macbook fan doesn't stop running on high power (6700rpm). I've checked this forum, and many other forums, but could not find an answer.
    There is no process generating high CPU load (checked with iStat), and the macbook is on a normal desk. I've also made a SMC reset, without any improvement.
    I thought about reinstalling Mac OS X, but the fan already starts when I switch the computer on, so not sure if it's the OS.

Can anyone help? It's really annoying to hear the fan running all the time.

Many thanks.

Chris

2. kolax macrumors G3

Have you checked your temperatures?

Could be a dodgy temperature sensor thinking it is hotter than it really is.

3. ScottDrummer macrumors 6502

is it just when charging or independant of charging?

4. connorxxl thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

thanks for helping me...

The temperatures shown in IStat are absolutely normal. Always around 40 C or below. And it happens all the time, no difference it batteries are charged or not.

Would be great if you have other ideas, it's really weird...

Chris

5. ScottDrummer macrumors 6502

have you installed any fan control programs that allow you to amend fan speeds?
    if so try getting rid of it, otherwise call applecare
    I have an issue with fans going up when the charger is plugged in, I never had this issue before last week.

6. connorxxl thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed SMC fan control yesterday, to stop the fans, but the application didn't work (nothing changed). I don't have any other software installed...

And the fans start right after turning on the computer, before loading the OS...

I think my problem also started last week (not sure though)...

Thanks for your help.

7. ScottDrummer macrumors 6502

do a hardware test
    restart with the boot disc in and press D.
    or is it alt and boot, im not sure try both

8. AquaVita macrumors newbie

pretty obvious to me that you have a failed thermostat/temp sensor. OSX has nothing to do with the issue, hence why they go full blast the minute you power on your machine

take it to the store, it needs service

9. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

Sounds about right, to me.

10. mowlavie macrumors member

macbook or not?

im getting scared , does all the macbooks heat up like this? if so, should i wait for the newer models to come out, help plz!!!:):):)

11. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

No they don't. This guy has a faulty machine.

Macbooks get warm, but not unbearably so.

12. connorxxl thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys,

got an appointment on Friday at the Apple store here in London. Will let you know what the outcome is.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

13. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I sold one that was that way every one said it was fine....my last one did not do that at all, so I think now, it was bad.

14. connorxxl thread starter macrumors newbie

Update!

Went to the store last week, and when I started the MacBook... nothing! The fan had stopped!

So I went home again, started on the weekend again... very weird.

Will go back to the store when the fan runs again...

Annoying.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

15. BioChron macrumors regular

BioChron

Glad it worked out for you! :-D

- Daniel

16. ScottDrummer macrumors 6502

there have been quite a few reports that prntjob manager runs and causes 100% cpu usage and therefore speed up of fans, worth checking out in activity monitor if it happens again.

17. withbatedbreath macrumors newbie

Ok, I've installed the temperature moniter, and no setting seems to go above 65 C, and my CPU still has an idle of more than 70%, but the fan starts up. I'm actually starting to wonder if Firefox has anything to do with it, whenever I'm on a page with any kinds of advertisements it freaks out, even though the temperature is completely unaffected. The fan also always turns on when I'm on youtube. Anyone else?

18. lesliedow macrumors newbie

Mine too

I have noticed that the fan on my MacBook also spins and CPU useage goes to 100% when firefox hits a site that has a lot of animation, flash etc. Quitting FF starts the fan slowing. This seems to be someting that has been worse in the past couple of months. I have had my computer since May of 06 and only now am seeing this problem. Its weird.
    Leslie

19. doowrehs macrumors regular

@withbatedbreath & lesliedow -

Don't worry: fans blasting away when viewing certain pages with Flash (esp. YouTube) is commonplace and widely acknowledged to be the result of Macromedia/Adobe's crappy port of Flash to the Mac OS. Your machines are both fine; it's Adobe's lazy engineers that are at fault.

20. newpcconvert macrumors newbie

Had the same problem...it was the print job manager. Had a pending job in there that I deleted. Fan went from 6000rpm to 1000. Thanks everyone!

21. beebopper macrumors newbie

Yes

Yes. Deleting the job in the print queue stopped the problem. Thanks for the tip!

22. chrisitalianmag macrumors newbie

How to stop the fan...

The fan runs because your SMC doesn't work properly anymore. Reset the Apple portable's System Management Controller (SMC) - all you have to do
    for the MacBook Pro is

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
    2. Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
    3. Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
    4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
    5. Press the Power button to restart the computer.

That's it! Your fan will stop and all the other little troubles you had in the last months will disappear. Over time, the settings in the System Management Controller may become unusable, which can result in operational anomalies with the computer. Examples include not turning on, not waking from sleep, not charging the battery, or not recognizing the AC Adapter, among others. You don't need to reinstall Leopard as someone suggested above...Chris

23. im_noahselby macrumors member

I had this same problem. I don't understand why this process would cause the fan to run full blast 24/7. For the last few days the fan sounded like a blow dryer constantly blowing air and on it's maximum setting.

As soon as I deleted the paused job in the print queue, the fan noise lowered instantly and has appeared to return back to normal.

Is this a glitch? Why does prntjob manager run and cause 100% cpu usage? It it really that intensive of a task?

24. mmnz macrumors newbie

mmnz

Found It

the problem is that if your fan starts gradually and then goes up to 6000 rpm and stays there until reboot, so there is process which is heating up the cpu, mine was the iantivirus which i installed, it was a free software and thus ceated that issue.

now its fine

25. Qbear macrumors newbie

fan running

Same thing worked for me. My MB was running at around 77 degrees Celsius with the fan on constantly, but after I uninstalled my free antivirus the fan immediately turned off and my computer dropped 20 C. Crazy, but it worked!:D