Macbook fan going crazy

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by someone28624, Aug 27, 2009.

1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I'm using my Macbook (see sig for specs). The fan, for several hours now, has been running fast (6100 rpm) with little to no usage. It started when I was running VM Ware Fusion. Understandable. It frequently does when I'm running that. However, it's been running just OS X for 2 hours now, and it hasn't slow down. I'm not running Firefox and iTunes. That's it. I tried to restart and initially my fan was slow and quiet again, but minutes later it's up to 6300 rpm. It says I'm using about 60% of my CPU. Nothing in the Activity Monitor looks overly suspicious. What's going on?

2. wiley17 macrumors newbie

Check your print queue under System Preference>Printers. There might be a job that never got printed and is stuck in the queue. That's what happened to me a while back. Hope that's the solution....

3. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, nothing there. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. qsoundrich macrumors member

This problem seems to be more common lately. I may see if an OS upgrade to Snow Leopard will help.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If you're "Idle" and using 60% CPU cycles, a process has hung up.

Go to Activity Monitor and make sure you've selected "All processes" in the drop down at the top. The default is "My Processes." This will show you everything running, including printer spools, widgets, you name it.

Something in there is bound to be running up that 60% number.

6. madjsp macrumors newbie

I was having fan issues too (not sure if my CPU was at 60 or so) but what I did (after all else failed) was take out the battery and hold the powerbutton for 10 seconds. It resets the power management options, and it fixed my fan issues!

This was on the white macbook. Not sure which one you have.