Macbook Fan gone crazy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alew!mac920, Oct 2, 2009.

1. alew!mac920 macrumors newbie

alew!mac920

Ever since i updated to Snow Leopard it seems as if my fan on my white 13.3 macbook is always moving or on. I don't know if there is anything i should do about this. I do have applecare if that helps. Let me know if you have had any problems or if this is normal!

2. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

How fast is the fan usually going? Download iStat Pro to find out. Mine is usually 1999rpm.

3. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Mine is at 1999 too, unless I'm using handbrake or something CPU intensive.

4. alew!mac920 thread starter macrumors newbie

alew!mac920

i just checked and its at 2274. at first i saw it at like 3367. so its kind of fluctuating. I should have mentioned that i have my macbook closed and i have an external display hooked up. idk if that has anything to do with it

5. alew!mac920 thread starter macrumors newbie

alew!mac920

after replying i heard my fan going nuts and i checked again with istat pro and i saw it all the way at 6324! should i be concerned?

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Your fans are most likely OK. They are merely reacting to increased CPU temperatures that many of us are experiencing since upgrading to SL.

7. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

Could you post a picture of the temperatures of your mac?

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

The fans are messed in Snow Leopard.

My fans would never EVER go on when I'm on YouTube, but once I upgraded they went on all the time. I did some experimenting, and it was Safari that caused them to go nuts so I went back to using good ol' Firefox and now my fans don't go on even on HD video! :eek:

9. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

My fans are fine under snow leopard... always staying low, even relatively low when transcoding video.

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

It isn't the fans. You guys are just seeing the side effect of a CPU that is running hotter. The fans are just doing what they're supposed to do.

11. alew!mac920 thread starter macrumors newbie

alew!mac920

yeah i realize that, but why would be on because its not like im putting extraneous stress on my mac. the most i have open is itunes,mail and safari, and most of the time its just itunes and safari. i dont think native apps like that would make such a effect on my macbook?

12. alew!mac920 thread starter macrumors newbie

alew!mac920

you mean of istat pro?

13. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

That's the $64,000 question, ain't it?

I have no proof but personally I think Flash has something to do with it. Also, I think the coders did something to make SL interact differently with our GPU's. Who knows?

I don't see any kind of fix though. Folks will just get used to it and this issue will fade away. Or maybe they'll sneak something into 10.6.2 but I wouldn't bet on it.

14. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

Yeah. Because my macbook runs cool and quiet with snow leopard. Fans only go above 2000rpm when transcoding video etc... Fans are normal during youtube also.

15. dlegend macrumors 6502

Since SL my computer has been running much hotter, fans hitting 6,300 on a regular occasion when i'm just surfing the internet (no flash/youtube)