Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rolypolywoly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Can someone please give me an idea of what is a normal level of fan noise?

I find the fan noise obtrusive. It's noticeable even when I am listening to a dvd or Youtube with headphones. It occurs even with only one app running like Photo Booth or Word or any website with video or audio. Any suggested fixes would be much appreciated.

My friend who has the same model doesn't have any fan noise so I'm wondering what the problem is. I told the Apple Store and they replaced it but it's made no difference. The Genius Bar operative @ Buchanan Street in Glasgow was extraordinarily unhelpful, so I complained to the manager who said we can try and find a solution but honestly I feel really put off going back there in a hurrah after the contempt I was treated with for daring to ask what was wrong.

I have checked activity monitor frequently and it doesn't seem to be running particularly high for any one thing. However can someone confirm what is a normal level of cpu per item and overall?

:eek:

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
Download iStat Pro, a really helpful widget, that will show you fan speed, among many other things. The fans usually go about 2000rpm, but higher if using CPU intensive apps.

zildjansg

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Got same problem before with my oldy Macbook white core duo, the noise very annoying even if just browsing.So I did have the SMCfan control, so far the fan noise have been regulated, although I can still hear the fan hushing:D

rolypolywoly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks troops. I've just downloaded these apps so I'll see if they make any difference. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.