MacBook Fan Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ipodlover77, May 15, 2011.

1. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Does ram and processor matter when it comes to the fan coming on? For the things that the fan will come on on the MacBook air, will it also come on on the MacBook pro, even though it has the i5/i7 with 4gb of ram. I know that the ram will allow you to have multiple programs window open with no lag unlike the 2gb air but will it run cooler and quieter or in general or does the fan kick in even for the lightest of things.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The fans are on all the time that the MBP is on, spinning at a minimum of around 2000 rpm. They spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. The primary "furnaces" are the CPU and GPU, so temps are more likely to rise when doing CPU/GPU intensive tasks, such as viewing Flash on websites, watching movies, etc. You really don't need to worry about temps, as the MBP manages fan speed quite well. Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor).

Install iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

3. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

thanks for the reply GCJ!! its not that im worried about overheating, its just that i was curious if the 2011 macbook pros have more tolerance than the macbook air. my fans would run if i watched a movie on netflix or a HD video on youtube. i was curious if i5/i7 and 4gb ram wouldnt run the fan on superspeed for things that the air would have the fans full speed for.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's purely a function of the sustained heat generated at any given time, so it would be tough to draw comparisons.