Macbook fan reports 0rpm

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Xirian, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Xirian macrumors member

for the past few days my macbook has been very quiet... smcfancontrol shows 0rpm constant, and it turns off by itself. I assume the fan has broken. It is out of warranty. Is there some where reliable I can buy a fan from, and could it be anything other than the fan? (before it died, trying to force it to a higher speed didn't work, but I want to make sure it couldnt be a sensor or anything else before I replace it).

2. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Are you sure that the fan is busted, and that it is not a sensor malfunction? Or maybe the SMCfancontrol software is acting up? Download iStat and check the RPM reading there.

Is your laptop running noticably hot? Can you hear the fan?

3. Xirian thread starter macrumors member

istat also shows 0rpm. right now its running at 74C, it goes up to 90C if I have transmission or itunes open. when I came home today it felt really hot and shut off when I went to use it, but nothing was in the logs. I haven't heard the fan in days, even if I put my ear to it, and it doesnt spin up when it gets to 90C.

4. eman macrumors 6502a

You can buy a fan from greedbay (ebay) and install it yourself. If you have an older macbook, they made two different fans, with heatsink. Expect to spend around $25 - $30 shipped. Pull your keyboard off and start your macbook and visually see if your fan is turning. If your fan is not turning and your logic board is not damaged from a liquid spill etc..., the fan replacement should work. Reapply paste to the bottom of the heat sink before replacement. If your macbook fan is not running, stop running your macbook, you could damage your laptop.

5. sparkstack Guest

Odd question i know, but you're not running build 9D19 of 10.5.3 are you? i had this problem yesterday. installing 9D20 fixed it for me.

Maybe, if your not running the dev builds, you might wanna do a smc reset.

6. Xirian thread starter macrumors member

I opened it and the fan isnt spinning, so i put it back together. Now I have another problem... it doesnt turn on at all unless I hold down command shift and power til it screeches. The weird thing is my aunts ibook does the same thing, it never turns on without the key combo. Is there something I might have loosened that is causing this? If I hit power alone it makes that bzzz noise like it does but the screen stays blank and the computer doesnt show in my router's list.

edit: it now turns on without the key combo. Going to see if it still does in the morning, if so its just my aunt's ibook that hates the power key.

7. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Think of it as a blessing. Atleast everytime you goto watch a youtube video or something flash based you won't hear the jet engine-like fans....Of course it comes at the cost of killing your computer from overheating, but meh :rolleyes:

8. Xirian thread starter macrumors member

After opening it back up and letting it sit on a while the fan came back on, though its really loud, louder than normal, so its probably going to die again. Very odd though, but saves me money for now.

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Right, flash taxes CPU so much it starts rapidly heating up so machine shuts off to prevent damage. So you go to youtube and your Mac shuts down ;)