MacBook fan revs with Flash and QuickTime recording

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swingerofbirch, Jan 20, 2008.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I have SR MacBook 13" 2.2 GHZ, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD.

I've noticed that the fan can rev up pretty loudly sometimes and checking iStat the RPM is sometimes as far as 6200! I've noticed it is almost always while playing flash movies online (eg, playing full episodes of 30 Rock from the NBC web-site). The other time it really revs is when recording video from QuickTime Pro, which I understand more, as that seems very logically to be processor intensive.

Does anyone else have this problem? Why do you think Flash would cause the fans to rev when even playing something like a 1080p movie trailer in QuickTime doesn't seem to?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Flash on OSX is dreadful, it seems to be Adobe's fault, but I wish Apple would do something about it...

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Even Flash 9 with h.264 and dual core support is nasty in OS X.

4. maximus06 macrumors regular

I was just about to make a thread when I saw this. I have the exact same machine (sr macbook...) and wow - Flash is SO BAD in os-x. I play some flash games online (multiplayer poker) and the CPU heats up, up and up (cheching via iStat pro) - leading the fans to come howling on and eat up my battery power.

What the hell? I can somewhat understand movies in quicktime because of the work being done on the image (ie. smoothing, dekerning etc.) though I'm quite sure this doesn't happen on my 5 year old IBM thinkpad.

But flash? Non-video flash? What the hell? Absurd, totally insane! I hope adobe wakes up from their mac incompetence/ignorance.

5. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Bump.

Has anyone heard of any plans by Adobe to fix this issue?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Flash 10 is a little better. I don't see much motivation to fix it either.