Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greendragon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
my macbook fan always kicks on when i start watching movies, is this normal? as soon as i stop the movie, it stops. just wondering?

thanks

greendragon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
my macbook is the new 2.16, had it about a week now, and the fan is pretty loud, when watching movies. if it's normal, then fine, but if not, what should i do?

thanks

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
my macbook is the new 2.16, had it about a week now, and the fan is pretty loud, when watching movies. if it's normal, then fine, but if not, what should i do?

thanks
What kind of movies are you watching?

You might want to watch Activity Monitor while watching them as well.

coledog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2006
Roanoke, VA
A little louder than the sound of birds chirping outside your window but softer than a dishwasher running a rinse cycle @ 10 feet.

ROFL!!!

I know that my MBP makes a lot of noise when I'm watching movies.
It normally happens after about 30 minutes of watching...

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
my macbook fan always kicks on when i start watching movies, is this normal? as soon as i stop the movie, it stops. just wondering?

thanks

Its normal. I watch a lot of movies on my MacBook, but I've started wearing headphones when I do and I don't really notice the fans anymore.

greendragon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
update... even movie trailers cause the cpu to jump to 90% + usage, fan kicks on. i have no other programs running, except activity monitor. is this normal for my macbook, or should i call :apple: ?

thanks

dadsp33k

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2007
Parkville, MD
my fan kicks on whenever i run aperture or even FireFTP in firefox. Some other progs as well. Am I doing anything wrong? Are there possible other programs running that I don't know about? How do I check?

chex

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
of course it can handle it, just because it is powerful doesn't mean it throttle back and 'conserve resources' to give you average performance, it will use its resources to give the best performance possible.

basically, you use cpu, cpu gets hot, cpu gets cooled by fans.

if it 'couldn't handle' it you wouldn't be getting smooth playback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.