Macbook Fan sounds like an engine (4000RPM+)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BrownManUPS, Sep 3, 2010.

1. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

My Macbook is from the last Macbook line-up before the "Pro" distinction (Unibody model A1278, 2.0 GHZ Penryn). It has had its HDD replaced once by mail and has only been dropped once (and that was a long time ago). I treat it with pretty good care and it is usually in a neoprene sleeve and in my backpack when transporting.

Recently the macbook has been running very hot and usually always has the CPU at 150F. The fan used to be relatively silent and not bothersome but lately the fan is really loud and annoying...like an engine that is dying basically. It seems to be hitting something inside but I'm not so savvy to be able to tell if it is fixable or not. Unfortunately being as old as it is, the computer is out of warranty. Here's a video of the sound (may still be processing) and some specs of temperatures and the battery life are attached.

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my machine...but it is obviously a great expense. Is it worth it?

Attached Files:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have a look at Activity Monitor ( Applications / Utilities / ) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

3. Allan in T.Dot macrumors member

Yah...that fan sound is def. abnormal. Sounds like a card stuck in the bike tire as it goes around actually!

The temps are a bit warm but again, it also depends on what programs you're running too.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i was thinking CPU usage as well, but in the video CPU usage is ok. more to do with the fan operation which is loud and not cooling the cpu properly.

there is only one fan in the 13" MBP so wil need to be fixed/replaced. you could try opening it up and looking at the fan? maybe it needs cleaning or something is stuck in there.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That sounds like my iBook's fan, short before the Logic Board died, take a look at www.ifixit.com and see if you think you can handle a fan replacement.

6. jasonh427 macrumors newbie

yup.... check your fan happened to my macbook once

7. SupremeTeam macrumors newbie

SupremeTeam

Have you tried using smcFanControl? its a good lil app that lets you control the speed of the fan, it may help you out

8. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

I'm with spinnerlys that's the sound of a fan replacement (never happened on my mac but on other devices / pc's)