Macbook fan starts spinning when tilting

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Mdv2, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Mdv2 macrumors regular

When I lift up my late 2008 Macbook to one side or the other or slightly tilt it, the fan starts spinning like my processor is about to melt-down. Any way to fix this? It did not happen under Snow Leopard.

2. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't tip it to one side then. Take it to an Apple store if you are really worried about it.

3. Mdv2 thread starter macrumors regular

Well you kinda have to when you lift it up to bring it somewhere else. I had it on my bed this morning and when I stood up i lifted it up to put it on the desk. The fan started spinning and when I came back halve an hour later, it was still spinning on full speed.

Result: all temperatures between 20C(!) and 30C.

4. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

I never move my MBP while it's on/awake. I always put it to sleep if I'm going to be moving it.

There's nothing wrong with the temperatures you listed.

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

There shouldn't be any connection between movement and the fan speed. Have you observed that the rpm of the fans increase or is it just the noise of the fans? If it's just the noise, perhaps you have a fan thats in need of replacement.

If, indeed, the rpm's increase the causes isn't obvious to me. Perhaps there's some very unusual linkage between the motion sensor and the fan control software. But, that seems highly unlikely to me.

6. Mdv2, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

Mdv2 thread starter macrumors regular

It seems rather odd to me as well, but it's true. The fan is spinning at 6900-7040 rpm. I currently have it on the mStand and to test whether it's simply the noise or the speed, I lifted it up and tilted it to the left and right until the fan started spinning. Now it continues to do so until I lift it up again, tilt it in one or another and put it down again.

I should note that I've also replaced the cooling paste with Arctic Silver 5 this weekend in case it might be of influence.

Istat:
    [​IMG]