macbook fan trouble

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by andrewface, Nov 21, 2008.

1. andrewface macrumors regular

andrewface

hi, i have a 1st generation macbook...had it since they first came out 2+ years back...recently, about 4 days ago, the fan has begun to spin uncontrollably...about 4 mins after i turn the computer on the fan revs up and just keeps on going...this was never the case in the past 2 years ive owned the computer unless i was running something that really pushed the computer...like a video game or streaming videos...however now it happens when i have nothing but firefox open...anyone experience this problem or have a potential fix? this is very inconvenient as the fan is spinning at full speed and i cant use my laptop in class....any help would be greatly appreciated...

just checked activity monitor and the computer is running at about 35% idle....is this normal?...i only have adium and firefox open

2. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

no 35% is not normal, look at the processes(all) and see what is running.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Can you download iStat and get a clearer picture of how many processes are running versus the RPM of your fan speed?

4. andrewface thread starter macrumors regular

andrewface

ill do that tonight and get back to you guys...thanks

5. andrewface thread starter macrumors regular

andrewface

here we are....

[​IMG]

as i post this the fan is running like crazy

6. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

Aha! Its a rouge printer driver! Open up activity monitor and shut down that lexmark process and the fans should calm right down.

7. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

It doesn't seem right to me that your heatsink A is much hotter than your CPU. Assuming your readings are in degree C, 127 C is unusually high for the Al-MB. (see mine for comparison)

What are the temperatures when you boot up in the morning? If it is anywhere this high, you need to talk to Apple.

Attached Files:

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Whatever that Lexmark process is, it's using up the most power. Try quitting that process and see if it brings everything down to normal...

9. kolax macrumors G3

Your fan is probably clogged up with dust/crud. Did you take out Apple Care?

10. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

OP doesn't have Alu MB ... read first post.

12. andrewface thread starter macrumors regular

andrewface

WOW
    it was def that lexmark thing...what the ****... i guess i need to uninstall that driver...thanks alot guys!
    fan stopped as soon as i quit the process

13. logana macrumors 65816

logana

iStat gives strange readings on 2GHz Core Duo machines - one minute it says 120F for Heatsink A then will suddenly say 25F....

Sounds like a print job that never finished.....

14. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

Great news!

15. andrewface thread starter macrumors regular

andrewface

yes i think that is the case...will the computer reopen that print job again when i reboot? or will it be fine now that ive ended the process?

16. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

My iStat doesnt show me programs that are running like on the far right side of yours.. how do i get those to display?

****EDIT: found it in the settings. my bad

17. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Try it :) But it should be fine now that you ended it... That happened to me once with Finder.. it was racking up CPU and the temperature was just climbing.... Once i saw it in Activity Monitor, i ended it and everything returned to normal..