Macbook fan won't stop running

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nicque, Apr 5, 2010.

1. nicque macrumors regular

Whenever I turn on my macbook it runs fine for a few minutes then the fans won't stop. I used to get this when I went on youtube but now it's all the time.
    It's on a two year old macbook.

Thanks for the help.

2. beaner454 macrumors regular

I had a similar problem and it ended up being a glitch with a botched print job.

To find the problem I did the following:

Go to the Activity Monitor.
    Towards the top of the app it should say something like "My Processes" in a pull down menu.
    Select "All Processes" from that list.
    Now organize the list by CPU%.
    Check to see if anything is running abnormally high (Like a printer process).

3. nicque thread starter macrumors regular

4. Arrandale macrumors regular

SMC reset and PRAM reset are all fine, but too much trouble

usually the culprit is an idle print job, if you go to the printer prefpane and delete all jobs in the queue your fans should pipe down.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Can I ask a polite question? Why have you resurrected a thread that is 3 days old to answer a question which the OP has already posted as answered?

6. maz94protege macrumors member

do a google search for SMCfan for mac. Its great, you can set the fan speed to whatever you want. I prefer it max speed 100% of the time. since my macbook1 has only 1 fan vs the newer macbooks with dual fans. I need to keep my Macbook at 100degrees or less. Without SMCfancontrol im at 150+ degrees and is uncomfortable to keep on the lap. Great FREE application btw.:D