Macbook fan?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hannah19142, Aug 26, 2010.

1. hannah19142 macrumors newbie

Hi! I just recently bought a macbook, and I'm wondering if I need to purchase a fan for it? I know most laptops benefit from fans (the ones that plug into to your USB and keep the computer extra cool), and I'm wondering if macbooks are the same way. Is there a certain brand I should look for?

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MacBooks already have a fan built-in, thus you don't need an additional fan, unless you work in hot environments with it.

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

You could buy one if you want, but 99% of the time the computer's own fan works fine.

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

You kidding? PowerBook G4's could fry an egg, yet I know clumsy dopes that have been driving them like a slave for five-years without fail!

My MacBook Pro, currently, goes without, as well. Never a problem! I played Doom 3 on Ultra High without it even cringing. Sorry I can't say the same for the person in the seat next to me, that flight.

Don't worry about it. Just don't block the vents!!! For gawdz sake! Do not place it directly on bedding and don't let your legs block the center of the rear! Blocking the vent will displease your MacBook and cause relationship complications.

6. Abscissa macrumors regular

Macbook fans work fine, although mine will get pretty hot. I use SMC Fan Control and right now I'm listening to music and browsing the web at 130˚F and 1800rpm (lowest possible on mine). You can up the default fan speed with the application too (I'll have mine at 2500rpm or something if sitting at a desk). I find this to work better because my macbook will get up to anywhere from 145 - 170 before the fans speed up. At 2500 it keeps it cooler longer, or you can set it to like 3000 or 4000 minimum for watching movies.

BUT, to answer your question, no you don't. As everyone said make sure there's nothing blocking the fan(s).

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049/smcfancontrol - if you want.