MacBook Fan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kaisoo, Aug 30, 2012.

1. kaisoo macrumors newbie

Back in May I spilled liquid on my MacBook and had a technician help clean it out. It's been working fine since I got it back but Ive noticed that after using it for a while under both SMCfancontrol and iStat, the fan speeds will sometimes read 000rpm. Whenever it reads 000rpm the fans would become extremely loud and blow out air - much louder than what I assume to be normal. If I let it be, it'll eventually stop after an hour or so and the speed will go back to reading 2000+ rpm. If I try restarting the computer the loud noise will begin right at startup. I've tried performing an smc restart which will help but after using it for a while longer the readings will go back to 0 and the noise will start again.

Is this a problem that can be solved with a replacement fan or is there something more to it?

thanks in advance!

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Sounds like the speed/temperature sensor in the fan (or on the motherboard) is failing. When the OS can't get a reading from the fan, it ramps up the fan to maximum speed as a safety precaution to keep the computer from overheating.

Its difficult to say if just replacing the fan will correct the issue, as the motherboard may be damaged as well.