Macbook Fan

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zillicah, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Zillicah macrumors member

How loud is the new 2008 aluminum macbook's fans? Are they loud, or can you not hear them at all? Or are they very very quiet? Just, in general how are they in both normal word processing/email/im/etc and more processor hungry programs?

2. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Unlike my previous HP laptop, I have not heard the fans. I suppose that is a bit of an exaggeration, as I have heard them on occasion when using intense video applications. In pages - nothing. Mail - nothing. IM - nothing. All of them combined - nothing. But even in the video application I was running, similar to a game I suppose, the fans did rev up and were audible in a silent room. It is nothing close to a nuisance, if that's what you're wondering.

So very, very quiet.

3. Zillicah thread starter macrumors member

Besides the fan, does anything else make noise?

4. viperguy macrumors 6502

When at 2000 RPM, the fans are not noisy at all. It`s very silent, actually. Usually, the fans get this RPM when using safari, pages, itunes and similar applications that don`t use much processing power.
    When the the RPM doubles and goes to 4000 RPM, I can hear the fans but nothing that bothers me. I get this when watching high definition videos or play games on my macbook.
    I never had a laptop before, so I can`t really compare to anything, but I can say that overall it`s a very quiet computer and I like it a lot

5. kzav macrumors newbie

i have mine for a month now, and it really is a silent machine. Don't worry about it.

6. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Some complain about the Intel CPU whine. I find that it isn't noticeable on the MacBook, as it is on plastic laptops. Actually, I can't even hear it unless I put my ear to the notebook. My HP made a screech in a quiet room. I'm pretty sure I lost ten of hertz because of the little notebook.:mad:

Simple answer: it's silent.

7. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

Mine is very very noisy and vibrates a lotwhen burning a CD but the fan noise only really gets loud when using handbrake

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I can't recall a time when I've really heard the fans at all. Especially in comparison to my MBP, my alu MB is super quiet.