MacBook fans going CRAZY for no reason.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AppleFanatic10, Aug 24, 2011.

1. AppleFanatic10, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Hello all,

This is my second post about my MacBook's fans going crazy. Today I was surfing the net on tumblr, and this guys blog has music on it. As soon as I heard it, I turned it off. Next thing I know my fans start going all crazy. I'm not sure what the problem is.. I restarted my macbook and as soon as I turned it back on the fans started going crazy again. It's doing the same thing right now as I'm writing this post. Just randomly started going to 6200rpm. I'm not doing anything but writing this post. Is this another bug in Lion? Or is there something wrong with my macbook. This hasn't happened for some months and it's really awkward that it decided to go off today.. when I wasn't really doing anything that required my fans to go off. Thanks for your help in advance =)

***EDIT***

I attatched a screenshot of Activity Monitor if this will help solve the problem.. Though it doesn't look like anything is really using up the CPU.

Here's a video of how loud my fans are. As u can see nothing is running right now except bootcamp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV88ozXeFNE

Attached Files:

2. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

3. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

Try downloading SMC Fan Controller and adjusting them manually.

4. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Thanks for the reply.. Funny thing is I booted into Windows and the fans stopped and as soon as I booted into Lion the fans started up again....

5. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

Strange. Must be an error in reading the temps of the mb. Well try repairing disk permissions (always seems to fix any issues I have) and like I said try smc fan control to adjust them manually.

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It really is a shame that Apple relies on it's users to patch their laptops with a third party utility. You'd think by now Apple would get the hint. Some things never change.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have an early 2008 black MB that was doing the same thing. I was afraid to use it on battery power since upgrading. SMC fan control helped some but not anywhere near what the fan was like under SL.

On Monday, I downgraded to SL using my TM backup and guess what? The fans only spin up to 6200 when doing something intensive such as flash sites and watching HD movies. Other than that, the fans stay at 1798 or so.

8. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Yea. I'm thinking about downgrading back to SL for the 2nd time. Lion just keeps giving me problems.

9. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I did that already thanks tho :)

10. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

This isn't typical, and if he took it to Apple they would help out as well. Don't be a troll.

11. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Lol I'm not a he.. and I live extremely far from a apple store.. but thanks anyway =)

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

How would Apple be able to help with the fans? This is a software issue right now proven by the fact that switching back to SL fixes the problem. Read the Apple support forums and you will see that yourself.

This is going to require a fix from Apple itself in the OS.

14. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

When I first switched back to Snow Leopard, the fans were still going crazy.. then I downloaded Windows on my mac and the fans stopped immediately until I went back to SL... but after a couple hours they seem like they calmed down. Hopefully Apple fixes this in the next update of Lion so I can go back again. Until then I'm staying on SL.

----------

I doubt I'm blocking the vents since they vent out through the keyboard (white macbook 2010 model). And I already tried a SMC when the fans first started going out of control so that really didn't help. Thanks :)

15. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

16. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Lol thanks.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you have Parallels installed?

18. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Nope.

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes Apple will fix this but to the other person who suggested bringing the computer to Apple, that won't help. This will require a fix through an update.

20. chrisman macrumors newbie

That's a bad idea. If about anything happens to your computer (even if it's under warranty) apple could say that you did it and they don't have to repair it.

21. JohnPhamlore macrumors regular

I uninstalled iWeb

System:
    Macbook 2,1 with iLife 09 upgraded to Lion

Symptoms:

Fan often on
    Activity Monitor often shows mdworker consuming high CPU % with 10+ GB disk activity after every restart
    Console shows many error messages similar to
    mdworker32: (Error) ImportPluginLoading: Couldn't load plugin '/Library/Spotlight/iWeb.mdimporter/'

Failed workaround:

/Library/Spotlight/iWeb.mdimporter
    had a different group (admin) than other .mdimporters and more permissive permissions, tried fixing with chown and chmod to no avail

Eventual workaround:

Uninstalled iWeb and removed directory
    /Library/Spotlight/iWeb.mdimporter