Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
So today I was watching a long video on youtube, I decided to put it to fullscreen. After about 2 mins, the fans rev'ed up and started becoming really loud, I checked iStat and it said the temps at 67 Celcius! and the fans at 6000 something RpM.

I'm wondering if this is normal? or if somethings wrong with my MB.

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
Yep it's normal. As long as your CUP temp is below 100c you're fine. Try updating your Adobe Flash player and all Apple Updates, this may help.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Nothing wrong with her, she's just doing what chicks do. Taking her off your lap and sitting her on a table might cool her down some, so she can get some air under her legs.

kkmac

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
Yes, this is what MacBook users have accepted as "normal".

If i knew this was "normal", i wouldn't have purchased by MacBook.

I would suggest that you have your MacBook plugged in when watching videos because the fans drain your battery and time after time, it will kill the battery.

SpongyDaPorus

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2007
Yours is cool

picture1lp4.png

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
It's not just MacBooks. My iMac G5 CPU fans spin like mad whenever I watch Flash videos, even if the video is paused. It's really quite annoying.

I don't know if Flash is really that processor-intensive or if Adobe simply hasn't optimized the Mac version of the player/plug-in. But, yeah, it happens, and it is "normal" based on my experience -- "normal" meaning there's nothing wrong, not "normal" meaning it couldn't be better.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
It is the Adobe Flash implementation on OS X. It really is junk.

By comparison, I am watching YouTube on Linux on an ASUS eeePC, which has a Celeron 900MHz downclocked to 630MHz and a GMA9xx intel GPU.

Not. A. Murmur.

Either Adobe or Apple needs a good shoeing for this.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
This is one of the consequences of subpar handling of flash in OS X

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Aye flash is SHOCKING.

Luckily only uses one core so its not all bad.

Try and avoid it at all costs tho, and flash ads just piss me off even more!!!

Need a proper ad blocker, Safari Block is doing ok just not flash based yet :(

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
So today I was watching a long video on youtube, I decided to put it to fullscreen. After about 2 mins, the fans rev'ed up and started becoming really loud, I checked iStat and it said the temps at 67 Celcius! and the fans at 6000 something RpM.

I'm wondering if this is normal? or if somethings wrong with my MB.

I thought this was gonna be a video of like 400 teen girls screaming about their Macbooks...lol

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
I thought this was gonna be a video of like 400 teen girls screaming about their Macbooks...lol
haha Sorry about the slightly deceiving title :p

It is the Adobe Flash implementation on OS X. It really is junk.

By comparison, I am watching YouTube on Linux on an ASUS eeePC, which has a Celeron 900MHz downclocked to 630MHz and a GMA9xx intel GPU.

Not. A. Murmur.

Either Adobe or Apple needs a good shoeing for this.
Wow Is Adobe doing anything about this, because this is really bad :|?

I thought something similar. Maybe some more stupid twelve year olds telling us about how their macbooks are so great because they just are.
Holy CRAP, I thought I was the only one who noticed this. It kills me everytime I see Pre-Pubescent teens whose voices sound like that of dyeing chipmunks talk about their Macbooks, iMacs or MBP's. SO F****** annoying.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Holy CRAP, I thought I was the only one who noticed this. It kills me everytime I see Pre-Pubescent teens whose voices sound like that of dyeing chipmunks talk about their Macbooks, iMacs or MBP's. SO F****** annoying.
Don't you just love the ones who try to show you their keyboards with their iSights by closing the laptop? I also love how they all "review" their computers without actually showing you their computer. They just talk about them in front of the iSights...

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
Don't you just love the ones who try to show you their keyboards with their iSights by closing the laptop? I also love how they all "review" their computers without actually showing you their computer. They just talk about them in front of the iSights...

hahahahah i've seen those videos! however i must recommend jon4lakers videos, he's really hot and produces quality reviews.

Sceneshifter

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007
I have my MB on some little feet (they look good too hehe), mostly for easier typing, but I suppose it helps cooling aswell, and whn watching youube and opening istat it tells me this: 32° C (don't know farenheit) and fan speed 1796 RPM, and super quiet.

My brother's dell goes nuts on youtube however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.