MacBook - fans on ALL the time

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ETID, Apr 26, 2008.

1. ETID macrumors regular

Lately I have noticed that my fans seem to be running all the time from start up even if I don't use it. Is this normal because I swear when I first got the macbook it was silent. The only thing I have changed is the hard drive to a 250gb. I've also reinstalled Leopard but nothing changed.

Any ideas?

2. bart rijksen macrumors regular

What do you mean all the time? Are they always at 2000 or 2500 rpm? because that is normal, or are they always at the highest?
    Then i would say, try a pram reset

3. CanadianDonkey macrumors member

I recently upgraded my hard drive, and found that the fans were on all the time.

I discovered that this was due to an increase in my cpu, which was caused by a process called ATSServer running over time.

Open up your activity monitor (Located in app/utilities) and see if there are any major process's going on.

If ATSServer is the culprit, it may be cause (like it was for me) by some poor PDF files, ones that didn't quite copy over. If you have a folder containing a lot of PDF files, try excluding it from spotligthts indexing, found in the system preference pane.

I had a recent topic about this. Check it out, it may help you.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=474895

4. ETID thread starter macrumors regular

To be fair they are on low (don't know the exact rpm) by the sound of it but a few months back the machine was almost inaudible.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll try em out and let you know.

edit: I just looked in the activity monitor and by the looks of things everything is running great so it seems unexplainable.

By the way is there a program needed to view fan rpm or is it located in utilities somewhere?

5. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

Download iStat which will tell you the rpm. Should be around 1800rpm

6. chapmac macrumors member

I had a similar problem to the last poster with a rouge task - mine was PDFESCAPETOPAGE. This was a failed print job that was printed to my laser printer via Airport express. When it fell over for some reason it was cleared from the queue but didn't get deleted. I have an Epson C900 laser which is quite temperamental and the driver software seems to fall over a lot.

Check in your activity monitor and it will be obvious - for me the job was
    taking up 50%+ of the CPU and running continuously which set the fans going after a few minutes of use. Interestingly, shutting down and rebooting didn't have any affect, it would restart once booted. Just killing the job in activity monitor did work however. Since then I have it happen a couple of times. For me I think its the Epson s/w that doesn't work well with Airport Express.

Hope this helps....

7. CanadianDonkey macrumors member

Ok.. so it's not your processors that are causing the fans to run... So, there has to be another part of your computer thats giving off excess heat. Download the iStat widget, and check out the temperature of your computer. Figure out whats causing the heat, and then we can figure out how to fix it.

8. SisterRay macrumors regular

9. ETID thread starter macrumors regular

normal running temp is around 40 celsius and fans are at 1795.

I think this must be normal and I'm just getting paranoid. Maybe the macbook just seemed silent when I got it cus before I was using a laptop that had fans like jet engines.

Thanks for the help and peace of mind.

10. CanadianDonkey macrumors member

Yeah, thats pretty standard. My mac's about 40-50 degrees, and the fans are at 1800.

Now, if your computer idled at 70 degrees and 6000 rpm, that would be something to worry about.

11. remyink macrumors newbie

Yeah my wifes Macbook was doing the exact same thing and I finally figured out what it was. It was a printer process that was taking up %100 of the cpu. The fans used to come on as soon as you would open the screen. Like suggested before open up your activity monitor and check it theres a power hungry process working.

12. bwiissofly macrumors 6502

Macbook - Fans running at around 6000 rpm all the time

Something is seriously wrong with my MacBook 2.0 C2D.

Lately, the fans run at around 6000 rmp all the time.
    I've checked Activity Monitor constantly and everything seems to be normal, i.e. there is not a printer file or anything like that making the fan run.

I also reset the PRAM and still no dice.

I am running Leopard and have maxed out the memory to 2.0GB.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?
    [​IMG]