Macbook Fell onto hard wood floor

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sheepopo39, Jan 31, 2009.

1. sheepopo39 macrumors 6502

My macbook recently fell from an Ottoman about 2 1/2 feet high onto the hardwood floor and it was in sleep mode. So it looks ok, no clicking sounds coming from hd, cd drive is working, display is working and no visible dents. So I am wondering if there is a way to check to see if everything is in working order. There were sounds coming from the hd but not clicking sounds (average hd sounds?)

Thanks

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

If it was asleep it should be alright, nothing was free to move around inside... but aside from seeing if something breaks there's not a good way to check.

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

For extra added insurance you could stick in the hardware test disc and see if everything is fine. I don't think you have much to worry about. The HDD has the sudden motion sensor and the Mac notebook are much more resilient than most people think.

4. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

as long as the top case that is the case that has the keyboard and trackpad on it did not pop off or break any of the internal tabs you should be good.

Give it a skim around where the topcase meats the bottom portion of the device and see if it is popping up anywhere

5. cerealj macrumors member

Yeah, if everything seems to be working then it probably is. A 2 1/2 foot drop isn't far.

6. erstwhilepo macrumors member

7. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

oh yeah i was assuming poly lol

8. sheepopo39 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was just worrying cause I've gotta get this report in soon, well thanks and just to be sure I'll stick the disc in it and check, poly

9. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

I've dropped my MBP about 5 times in its life from a height of 3 feet or so. It has 2 dents for its trouble. Never had a problem with it. Pretty sure yours will be just fine as well.

10. emma123, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

emma123 macrumors newbie

Hi

HI sheepopo,

It's nice to hear that your MAC is completely ok. And what sounds your talking about?? if it's from HDD and if it's clicking sound than you should really take it seriously because your HDD can be in real danger but if there is no clicking sound only a little bit sound than it's ok it's normal. Moreover, you should get the latest as the latest MAC books are coming with a unique system of auto safety.

11. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I'd say by now you'd know if something was awry.

12. seb-opp macrumors 6502

Dont forget to back up your HDD frequently, just incase this clicking is anything out of the ordinary.

If you go on to system profiler then Serial-ATA, look at the details of your HDD. Under S.M.A.R.T. Status, if it says verified, its working normally but it can change to failing if the drive is damaged. There's an app called SMARTreporter which I used on my old mac for a bit after I had two HDDs die, which put an icon on the top right of the screen so you can see this info at a glance.

More info here:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2091894_check-macs-smart-status.html

13. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

awesome possum! Sounds like these things are really flippin durable according to everyone posting on this forum :) I've never dropped my MB, but I've definitely put it through the rounds with bumping around and all that good stuff :p school tends to do that to you haha