MacBook - File Close Unexpectedly?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cjwosbon, Oct 29, 2009.

1. cjwosbon macrumors member

Hi all,

A friend of mine has a MacBook and today has had an issue, after he types in his password it takes him to the main desktop page and then an error message appears saying 'File Close Unexpectedly'

He cannot click on any of the icons, the finder bar at the top is translucent and he cannot perform any actions?

It is out of his warranty, I asked if any files had been deleted and he said no, but his gf apparently used it last....... then this morning this happens!

Any ideas as to what could be wrong and any advice on how to resolve the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks as always!

Chris

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Does your friend still have the Restore/Installation DVDs?
    If so, he should use Disc 1, insert it, boot from the disc by holding down "C" after the startup chime sounds. That boots the Mac into the DVDs installer, from which he can use Disk Utility to repair permissions and the HDD.
    If that fails he could do an "Archive an Install", which puts a fresh installation of Mac OS X onto the Mac, but saves the current contents of the drive in a folder called "Previous System" on the Macintosh HD.

3. cjwosbon thread starter macrumors member

I am pretty sure he still has the recovery disk, I will pass on this info to
    him.

Thanks for the advice it is greatly appreciated