MacBook Finally upgraded!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by comda, Aug 16, 2014.

1. comda, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014

comda macrumors 6502a

comda

So Over the past few months I've been posting on here about possible upgrades to my 2007 white Macbook. Its the model identifier 3,1 That i purchased new in boxing week 2007. It came stock with the Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz CPU, 1gb DDr2 ram, 120Gb hard drive and OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard).

Last year i had 4gb RAM put into it and a 750GB hard drive. But since im off to university this year ive decided to take it to the next step and went out and made a purchase of a new Drive for it! My first solid state Hard drive!

After some tinkering around i disassembled the macbook and removed the CPU fan and heat sink off the system, cleaning the old slowly getting chunky original apple thermal residue with rubbing alcohol and applied fresh thermal compound on both the CPU and GPU. Next i cleaned out The fan replaced the HDD with the SSD installed and installed Lion.

I found lion to be kinda slow and didnt much like it so i returned to snow leopard and i am a happy camper. As the system boots up in under 30 seconds and will soon be ordering a new battery for it as well as this baby still needs to make it through my years at university. LEt me know what ya think guys!
    LIVE ON WHITE MACBOOKS!

Attached Files:

2. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Very nice little upgrade. We use those same drives at work for all of our upgrades, and even though they aren't the fastest, they have been very stable performers.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Congrats!

I am refurbishing 3 2010 white MacBooks with 8GB, 500GB SSD, and a new battery if needed. The memory and SSD make a huger performance improvement.

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Just a tip: I can't tell from your photos but if your upper case has chips along the palm rest,try taking into apple store (set up appointment) and ask for replacement. I had hear apple would do for free! Took mine in last year and sure enough a hour latter I had a new upper case.

5. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

tom vilsack,

I appreciate you mentioning that! I had the top case replaced for free about 2 years ago from a store called mostly Digital. They are a certified apple repair shop and yes indeed they did it for free. Gave me a bill of $180 that totaled to $0. Apple does have a limit of years they do it for you. But this one is fine as if right now. No chips yet.

6. AlexxRyzhkov macrumors regular

Congrats on the upgrade!

Btw I see you have Minecraft on there, would you mind telling me what FPS you get?

7. Thejrace macrumors newbie

Sweet rig! Hopefully i'll be joining the white macbook family soon.

8. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Sure ill tell ya what FPS i get if you tell me how to check. I had to set down the settings a bit to get a decent FPS.. But which piece of software can i use to check FPS?

9. keema macrumors member

Hi MCAsan,

Just a question, how will you know if a battery needs replacing? On a fully charge mid 2010 white macbooks, how many hours should the battery last?
    (I know it depends on the things that you do on the laptop, but just an estimate)

And if the battery needs replacing, is it hard or it is easy?

Thanks,
    Christian

10. MCAsan, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Click on the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen and select About this Mac.
    In the resulting dialog box select More Info. In the next dialog box select System Report. When the System Report box opens select Power in the left column. In the right column you will see info on the battery, charger...etc.

Here is an excerpt from my Power section. Note the battery can be charged to near its design capacity and the condition is normal.

Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 8704
    Fully Charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 8946
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 5
    Condition: Normal

Batteries with lots of age or cycles on them may not be able to be charged to near their design capacity. Their condition may read as needs maintenance or replacement.

The difficulty in replacing batteries will vary by the specific Macbook. For the 2010 white Macbook, you need a #00 Phillips screwdriver and a small triwing screwdriver. Many of the 3rd party companies will include any needed screwdrivers with the battery. I purchased Tera Power batteries from Amazon for around $56 each.

Here are is the battery replacement protocol at IFIXIT.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Unibody+Model+A1342+Battery+Replacement/1667

11. AlexxRyzhkov macrumors regular

You can check the FPS by pressing the Fn and F3 keys together while in-game. In the top left corner it should tell you what you are getting.