MacBook: Fix or Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by spitfireIX, May 10, 2009.

1. spitfireIX macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook I bought in September 2006. It now has two of the classic problems: cracked at the front edge of the palmrest, and a screen backlight that goes in and out.

I haven't attempted getting it fixed because I'm nowhere near an Apple Store, and it's out of warranty. But now these issues (backlight especially) are really getting to me.

What am I going to have to pay to get it fixed? I can get a new white MacBook, same as what I have now but with double the RAM and hard drive, for around $1000, so I will upgrade if it's going to cost a lot.

2. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

The new one for $1000 is a better machine. It has a GeForce 9400m. If you can swing it, get a new one.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

MicroCenter (B&M and online) is selling the Nidia C2D 2.0 MB for $799 after rebate right now so I'd say it makes zero sense to fix given what Apple is likely to charge. I wouldn't bother fixing a CD Mac at this point. Sell it for parts.

4. Mhmm macrumors member

What I would do is get a new MacBook and use an external monitor with the old one as a desktop replacement. But then again, I like to ride my computers all the way down to their last breath. ;)

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The flickering backlight is a fairly trivial job. It like a $30 part on eBay. The cost is in tearing apart the MacBook to get at the inverter board (which is what needs replacing). Labor maybe $100 max.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Try one of the repair guides at www.ifixit.com If it looks to be a bit too much for you, see if there's an apple authorized 3rd party repair shop near you.

Or, get a refurbed nvidia whitebook for $850 on the apple store site.