Macbook fixed after liquid split over keypad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brasiliangringo, May 28, 2010.

1. brasiliangringo macrumors regular

Somone spilt a glass of wine over macbook, it started spooning out and crashing (after drying it externally) so I disconected the magsafe and happy days, it worked again. When battery drained, i put it into drying room and tried again with mag safe, but again, spooned out and crashed. So, i took it apart, inspected the logic board and saw some fizzy greenish copper activity next to a chip adjacent to the power input plug on reverse side, so scraped away at it and tried again, no joy. So in despair pulled it apart again and under a microscope saw very small amounts of residue between connections on the magsafe 'internal circuitry' which links to logicboard via a pin connector, so very carefully scraped them away with a tiny flat head screwdriver and tissue. Now we are firing on all 8 cylinders!! happy days, aren't macs great. peace out!!

I thought this might help someone else hence the reason for posting!

Ps switched to windows for a day on old machine and nearly reached for the happy pills after seeing all these, ''windows needs your permission'' wank, thank Christ we're back..

2. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

For future reference, cleaning alcohol and a q-tip work very well for me ;)

3. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

I agree with that, but in my case the residue had dried hard like a resin so needed plenty of aggravating in order to break off and remove. I also hope there will be no need for future reference on my part :)

I would have thought your method is better if the spill was fresh and still 'wet'.