Macbook Flashes Desktop Then Black Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DingleGuy, Jul 29, 2014.

1. DingleGuy macrumors newbie

Hello, I have a 2007 Macbook that will power up but you can't see anything on the screen. If you close it and put it to sleep and then reopen it you can see the desktop for a second. Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this.

Thanks

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Have you tried putting the screen to some light? It could easily be the backlight. Happens pretty often, on any screen.

Take a flashlight to it and see if you can see anything on the LCD.
    If you can, it's easiest to just replace the display, but it can also be an inverter. Though it is possible to replace just the backlight, the work for it isn't worth it, unless you're really wanting to go that route.

If there's a store around you that can take a look, you might see if they can tell if it's your inverter or the LCD itself.

3. DingleGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input. I did shine a light on the monitor and the desktop was there. Would you say it is most likely the inverter?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would guess it is the inverter board itself or the cable. If it comes back on by opening and closing the display then the inverter cable is on its way out. Be careful when ordering parts as early white and black MacBooks shipped with two versions of inverters and inverter cables.