Macbook flashes on, hard drive clicks. . .

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by docdoak, Jun 1, 2011.

1. docdoak macrumors newbie

I used my laptop earlier this morning, and closed the case so i could transport it to school. I arrived at school and when I pressed the power button, the laptop screen and the green camera light both flashed, but after a few seconds I heard the hard drive click off. When it is connected to a power source, the same happens, except the hard drive does not click off until I hold the power button for 5 seconds to force a manual shut-down. I opened the case and made sure all the cables were connected properly, and I found some white powder on the RAM cards (I found some articles here that say that this is normal and some sort of lubricant or something) but I cleaned it off using rubbing alcohol and I made sure that the cards were pushed all the way in. I did nothing at all with the computer aside from closing the case and packing it in my bag, I did not drop it etc.

The computer is a four year old Macbook running 10.5, I have not experienced any problems leading up to this that seem to be related. I've only had a problem with the MagSafe adapter (I recently purchased a new one and it has not given me any problems.) Also the screen was cracked about a year ago. Thanks!

2. docdoak thread starter macrumors newbie

I suppose I should also clarify that I currently live outside the United States and in a country that has no macbook vendors/support at all, so any fixes are going to have to be made with my own hands. Also, as this computer is aging and has been causing me numerous issues lately (showing its age), I would not be willing to invest more than a few dollars in the repair itself.

3. docdoak thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm getting ready to sell this thing for parts, so any advice at all would be great.

4. Laco macrumors 6502

I also have a 4 year old Macbook. I heard the hard drive click a couple of years ago. It started out just a few clicks then it became more frequent. After that the hard drive failed.

5. docdoak thread starter macrumors newbie

The click I'm talking about is the click of the hard drive turning off after the computer powers down. I never heard it click beforehand, I'm assuming this is an HD failure anyway, but I just wanted to make sure before I throw this thing in the ocean.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Its most likely an HD failure. But don't throw it in the ocean! If you don't want to fix it you could always try to sell it on the marketplace here. I'm sure someone might want to buy it.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom